front-608.jpg
tape.jpg
rear.jpg
doc-brown-1.jpeg
backbox screen.jpg
power supply.jpg
final.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Just finished the restoration of my Back to the Future and decided to add a custom topper. I will try and show all I did. I apologize for some of the pictures as the camera doesn't take real good pictures in low light so some of the pictures are a little fuzzy.

I started with a 1:15 scale battery operated car that had some lights and sounds. They are all over eBay.
115 car.jpg115 car.jpg

I started by gutting the car and taking all the electronics out. The car has headlights, Brake lights, Fin lights, instrument panel lights, Flux Capacitor lights and exterior time travel strip lights. I took all the light circuit boards out and removed the clear plastic time circuit lights on the exterior and removed the blue LEDs Here are the original light circuit boards.
orig light bars.jpgorig light bars.jpg

I ordered 12 volt prewired 5mm LEDs. I took the old LEDs out of the boards and then I drilled holes where the lights were. I then put the wires of the new LEDs through the holes and glued the LED to the board. By doing this, I was able to use the original boards to place the lights exactly where they were before. Here is one of the light boards with the new LEDs installed.
modified light bars.jpgmodified light bars.jpg

Here is a pic of the entire car rewired with new LEDs.
rewired top.jpgrewired top.jpg

Then I took a piece of flat metal and bent it to shape and painted it black. Here is a pic of the bracket attached to the bottom of the car.
bracket.jpgbracket.jpg

Here is a pic of assembling the car. FUN FUN.
assembly.jpgassembly.jpg

For the wiring, I wired two different circuits. I wanted the headlights, brake lights, interior lights and fin lights to be illuminated when the machine is on. Then the blue exterior time travel lights are on another circuit. I took all the positive wires of each LED in each circuit and tied them together. I then took the negative wires of each LED in each circuit and tied them together. I then hooked each of those bundles and attached them to a single wire to go outside the car for the connector.
Black- Negative for the continuous illumination circuit.
White- Positive for the continuous illumination circuit.
Brown- Negative for the Blue exterior time travel circuit.
Blue- Positive for the Blue exterior time travel circuit.
wires bottom.jpgwires bottom.jpg

Here is the car with the plug attached. The wires are kept behind the bracket so they cannot be seen.car plug.jpgcar plug.jpg

Here are the test pics of each of the lights.
headlight test.jpgheadlight test.jpg
brakes test.jpgbrakes test.jpginstrument panel test.jpginstrument panel test.jpgblue test.jpgblue test.jpg

Now that everything checked out the car was attached to the backbox.
backbox mount.jpgbackbox mount.jpg

I installed a switching power supply to run the undercab lighting and the lighted flipper buttons. For the continuous circuit I ran wires down to the front of the cabinet and attached to the 12 volt power. Here is the power supply.
power supply.jpgpower supply.jpg

I decided to run the Blue time travel lights to the Release flasher so using alligator clips I attached it to the flasher that is in the backbox. I used alligator clips so I can experiment with different sources for the blue flash. Playing several games I am happy with this selection but I may try some others at some point in time.
flasher connection.jpgflasher connection.jpg

Once all the wiring was done, I re-installed the backbox vent screen.
backbox screen.jpgbackbox screen.jpg

Here is a pic of the car installed and illuminated. I will add a video in a bit.
final.jpgfinal.jpg

I am thrilled with how the topper looks and operates during the game,

#2 9 years ago

Here is a video

#3 9 years ago

Sweet !! I dig it!

#4 9 years ago

F'in awesome! Well done!

#5 9 years ago

Thanks.
I am real happy with how it looks and flows with the game.

They make versions for all three of the movies as well.

#6 9 years ago

That is sweet! Great job and thanks for sharing.

#7 9 years ago

Good work and love how the lighting is not static and tied into the game play. Thanks for sharing.

#8 9 years ago

Looks sweet. Very nice touch with the flasher. Since you bought the BTTF 2 car, you should engage the hover wheels. It would look like the car is flying as opposed to driving in mid air

#9 9 years ago

very cool.

Now you need a spinning OUTATIME California license plate.

#10 9 years ago

Love the mod. Only thing I would say is that if it's a flying delorean, the wheels should be rotated 90 degrees (they do sell that toy version).

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Love the mod. Only thing I would say is that if it's a flying delorean, the wheels should be rotated 90 degrees (they do sell that toy version).

and the wheels should be spinning up to 80mph prior to the flux-capacitor lighting being activated

ps. freakin' awesome !!

doc-brown-1.jpegdoc-brown-1.jpeg

#13 9 years ago

It is a BTTF II car but the wheels don't rotate. I agree and I am gonna take it down and cut them out and re-mount them. The problem is that they are not finished on the other side so I might have to do some painting of the rims and I may have to cut the tires to get the right look. I wanted to get everything working first before I spent the time on the wheels. I can take it off in about 30 seconds so I will post pictures after I change the wheels.

#14 9 years ago

It appears they made at least 3 different cars for BTTF II that come in a similar box. I remember seeing the flying wheels one time so I ordered one for II and when I got it the wheels didn't fold. I just thought I saw it wrong but evidently not. I don't like the look of the ones with folding where's as they look too much like a toy. I think modifying the one I have will end up with a better look. Mine also does not have Mr Fusion either which struck me as odd since it was supposed to be from the second movie. I don't care though. I'm happy with it.

#15 9 years ago

That looks great!

Now for your next MOD just make Marty look like Michael J. Fox and you'll be all set...

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from gwarrior:

That looks great!
Now for your next MOD just make Marty look like Michael J. Fox and you'll be all set...

I actually had a graphic artist working on that in exchange for some artwork I gave him. It never panned out. I had hoped to have that as a surprise during my restoration but it didn't work out.

#18 9 years ago

I took the topper down and did the flying wheel mod.

I took the axles and tires out and made a 90 degree bend to the axle. In order to get the right position I drilled new holes in the wheel well and cut the rims and tires so the wheels would slide in further.

tires.jpgtires.jpg

Front wheel well
front-608.jpgfront-608.jpg

Rear wheel well. The upper hole was the one used for a better placement.
rear.jpgrear.jpg

I didn't like the shiny axle so I sanded it to take the shine off. I debated on painting it black but decided to use it this way. In order to hold the wheels in place, I used side rail tape. This will allow me to take them off easily if I decided to paint them.
tape.jpgtape.jpg

Finished and installed.
topper.jpgtopper.jpg

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

I took the topper down and did the flying wheel mod

Much better.

#20 9 years ago

awesome !!!!

#21 9 years ago

Looks better than my old one...
bftopper.jpgbftopper.jpg
delorian topper.jpgdelorian topper.jpg

I put some Hot Wheels on the ramps as well...

bfupper pf.jpgbfupper pf.jpg

#22 9 years ago

Nice job!

#23 9 years ago

wow- that's sweet. Very cool.

#24 9 years ago

Yeah, you did a great job on both the machine and the topper. Very nice.
--Scott

#25 9 years ago

man.... i want this game now, just to have this topper on it

darn you Lonzo !!

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

man.... i want this game now, just to have this topper on it
darn you Lonzo !!

Lol. I take full responsibility for my actions.

1 week later
#27 9 years ago

Where did the Delorean come from? I need one.

#28 9 years ago

Cool, Nice Job! Great Scott!!!!

#29 9 years ago

Too cool! Nice job!

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinbali:

Where did the Delorean come from? I need one.

Got it off eBay. Do a search for 1:15 Delorean and there are several different kind to choose from.

1 week later
#31 9 years ago

Heads up.. Wish it weren't 1:6 scale, but this is dam cool. Released next year, no idea on pricing, but man is that detailed!
http://news.toyark.com/2014/07/23/hot-toys-finally-reveals-back-future-marty-mcfly-129328
Hot-Toys-Back-to-the-Future-Marty-McFly-014[1].jpgHot-Toys-Back-to-the-Future-Marty-McFly-014[1].jpg
marty_hot_toys.pngmarty_hot_toys.png

#32 9 years ago

Wow. That's detailed.

#33 9 years ago

Great-Scott-Brick.pngGreat-Scott-Brick.png

#34 9 years ago

Sideshow has it at their SDCC booth

image.jpgimage.jpg
4 years later
#35 4 years ago

originally the led in the car are light from 4 aa battery =6v, if I want to illuminate all the lights without distinction, just take a 5v from the playfiled and take it to the model excluding the back button, correct?

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from gnokketto:

originally the led in the car are light from 4 aa battery =6v, if I want to illuminate all the lights without distinction, just take a 5v from the playfiled and take it to the model excluding the back button, correct?

If you want them all on all the time then that would seem to work. They might be a little dimmer than normal but it might not be noticible. Worth a shot. Let me know how it works for you.

1 week later
#37 4 years ago

Hello everyone. Got some cool news (or at least I think its cool). lol
I am starting a YouTube channel that will be mostly dedicated to pinball restoration. Many of you have followed my restoration threads and I appreciate all the feedback. It's fun so I thought I would expand a little bit. I will still have my restore threads but I hope to add videos that compliment and show what and how I do things instead of just pictures.
I have a few videos up and would appreciate any comments. Keep in mind that I am just starting this so I will get better. Please be gentle.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPh4fgdB6s2clf50tpaMwSg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/back-to-the-future-custom-topper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.