(Topic ID: 65428)

Aurichs' Shadow Alt Translite is AMAZING!

By Sonic

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

601px-DemoMan_066.jpg
photo-Demolition-Man-1993-3.jpg
translite_demolition-man_pinball_willi.jpg
shadow.jpg
plas-shad.jpg
shadow-iphone.jpg
There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Thanks to Aurich I was able to test an early print of the his alternate Shadown translite...cutting to the chase...my god is that an amazing product....as most know I am a huge Shadow fan (it's my fav pin) and I've had several alt translites - but this is the one I've been waiting for..if there are truly 4K Shadows still flipping, they'll all end up having this...in fact, I tricked my wife with the Baldwin translite (telling her it was the newer one) and she didn't understand why I'd take out the "original looking translite for one that doesn't fit the colors/theme of the pin"....the instructions cards are an exceptional bonus and I'm still waiting to try the speaker panel (that's next week)....buy with supreme confidence...and Aurich get ready to have more printed!

Matt

#2 10 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

I tricked my wife with the Baldwin translite (telling her it was the newer one) and she didn't understand why I'd take out the "original looking translite for one that doesn't fit the colors/theme of the pin"

Hahaha, that's priceless! So glad you like it, thanks a lot.

(Note to everyone else, he's a friend of the printer and got the hookup early, as soon as I have the order I'll be sending them to everyone else.)

#3 10 years ago

Picture?

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

...as most know I am a huge Shadow fan (it's my fav pin)...

I often find myself thinking that it may be my favorite as well.

It's such a unique playing pin, and my interest and appreciation for it only seems be growing the longer it's in my collection.

#6 10 years ago

Picture?

I'd love to see other people's photos, but aside from Sonic no one has one yet. Until he comes back here's the package and a so-so iPhone shot, I haven't had time to get the DSLR out and try and do an HDR, it's hard to photograph backlit sources.

// Error: Image 139056 not found //

shadow-iphone.jpgshadow-iphone.jpg

#7 10 years ago

Nice Aurich, did you illustrate it by yourself?

#8 10 years ago

That looks nice, Aurich! Makes me miss my Shadow. I'll own another one day and will definitely pickup this set to adorn it. Great work!

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

Nice Aurich, did you illustrate it by yourself?

Thanks. Yeah, it's all original, though I used a lot of things for reference, like Shadow comic books. It's a combination of digital painting, vector drawing, and photo illustration, but any outside sources I used were licensed, it was important to me that the final product be free and clear of anyone else's copyright. That's why there are no Bally or Williams logos on it, though I would have liked to include them for an authentic feel.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from molspin:

That looks nice, Aurich! Makes me miss my Shadow. I'll own another one day and will definitely pickup this set to adorn it. Great work!

FYI I only have a few unclaimed from this run, though we'll see if all the pre-order people come through, still waiting to hear from maybe 20 or so. I can certainly do another run later, but I'll need to get 10 people together first to do it, that's pretty much the minimum print run.

#11 10 years ago

Aurich, you did a fantastic job with this. This is one of the best alternate translites I've seen to date. None of this pixelated stolen from the internet stuff, yours is a genuinely beautiful illustration. It matches the game perfectly.

Now, if we only had a Shadow to put it in....

Have you thought about doing any other games?

Cheers!

#12 10 years ago

That translight is so worng

everybody knows alternate translights are supposed to have boobies and look like shit

that translight looks good

#13 10 years ago

This really does look fantastic! It makes me want a Shadow. Stern should commission you for a pin. You may catch their attention with liberal application of bevel and emboss

BTW is that a real topper or more photoshop trickery? Looks awesome

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

Aurich, you did a fantastic job with this. This is one of the best alternate translites I've seen to date. None of this pixelated stolen from the internet stuff, yours is a genuinely beautiful illustration. It matches the game perfectly.

Thanks! It started as a personal project that kind of snowballed into something bigger, and I'm really humbled by the level of response it's gotten. I really love the Shadow, so anything that gets people to give it some more attention works for me!

Have you thought about doing any other games?

People have asked me that, I dunno. It's a ton of work, and I just don't know how many other games are out there that have the combination of really great gameplay (that brings the love) along with hated artwork. Also, I think I'd have to own the game to really want to put the time it. That pretty much rules out Demolition Man before anyone else asks about that one.

Actually the best suggestion for one that made me sit up and go "hmmm" so far is Lord of the Rings. No Alec Baldwin, but it's a pretty uninspiring photochop for such a great theme. I'd consider picking one up if I came across the right deal.

I'm honestly not an ace illustrator, those skills are pretty rusty, but it's a fun design challenge. I guess I'd say never rule it out, but it's just side hobby stuff.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

BTW is that a real topper or more photoshop trickery? Looks awesome

It's from the CPR plastics repro set. Stu will tell you it's a "desktop display" not a topper, but whatever, I stuck it up there.

Edit: Beat mwong168 to it since he took the time to find a picture.

#16 10 years ago

BTW is that a real topper or more photoshop trickery? Looks
awesome

It came as part of the CPR repro plastic set which was released earlier this year.

plas-shad.jpgplas-shad.jpg

#17 10 years ago

That is the best alternate translite, for a game that really, really needs one, that I've ever seen. Well done!
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#18 10 years ago

Agreed with all...Awesome work! The lights you're using, are those colored leds, whites, or a combo of both?

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from BR80:

Agreed with all...Awesome work! The lights you're using, are those colored leds, whites, or a combo of both?

YGM! All white LEDs in the backboard. It's a hodge podge of brands and styles though, I should probably clean it up, just stuck ones in that I had lying around. Some frosted, some brighter than others, etc. It doesn't show I guess, but I could maybe dial it in just a bit more.

#20 10 years ago

DANG THAT'S GOOD!!! How much are they? I like to buy one just to light up and hang on the wall as an original work of art. How much are they goin for?

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

DANG THAT'S GOOD!!! How much are they? I like to buy one just to light up and hang on the wall as an original work of art. How much are they goin for?

Thanks. $175 shipped for the translite, new speaker panel, and instruction cards. Just PM me if you want it, details are in this thread:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-new-original-alternate-translite-speaker-panel-cards

They are on the dark side until they're lit up though, so if you wanted to wall hang one you'd definitely want a lighting solution. Sounds like you wouldn't want the speaker panel though. I'm not really set up to break them up at the moment, but I think some people wanted just the speaker panel, maybe we could find one and work something out.

#22 10 years ago

How much for just the translight, no speaker panel or cards. I want just the tl.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

How much for just the translight, no speaker panel or cards. I want just the tl.

I'm not ready at this point to break them up, they're ordered as sets on my end too, so then I'd have a speaker panel that was kinda useless. I'm not even sure how the math would work out for the pricing honestly. If I can figure something out I'm happy to hook you up, thanks for your interest, just not sure how to do it right this moment. Will ponder!

#24 10 years ago

Thanks, see what the printer has to say about just running some tl's. Are they printed on one big sheet then that sheet is cut apart to make the the 4 pieces?

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Thanks, see what the printer has to say about just running some tl's. Are they printed on one big sheet then that sheet is cut apart to make the the 4 pieces?

No, they're all different materials, it's just the way the order was set up, and it's already been placed. If I do another small run (need maybe 10 people to do it) I could run off an extra one I'm sure. Or maybe someone wants just the speaker panel to go with their existing alt translite, I dunno, if I can figure out something that makes sense I'm happy to help you. Just don't want to break up a set at this stage when there are people who want to put them all on their machines.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for it though, thanks a lot, I'll see if I can think of some way to help you.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

That's all I ask. Your the BEST!

Haha, no worries, and feel free to PM me to ask me, I do get busy and distracted.

Okay, enough sitting in front of the computer, will respond to anything else tomorrow. Thanks for all the support everyone, I'm feeling the love from Pinside for sure.

#28 10 years ago

That looks great but the pic of the machine with the translite all lit up pretty much amazes me. That is gorgeous.

#29 10 years ago

I like it, but I do wish it had more Art Deco style like the rest of the cabinet IMO.

#30 10 years ago

My bad...here's the translite and instruction cards....I'm not a photographer (it's my Samsung Galaxy) and I'm not an LED guy - so those are all incadescent bulbs...what's apparent, though, is you have to have the speaker panel too - it's not complete without it...

Matt

// Error: Image 139381 not found // shadow.jpgshadow.jpg

#31 10 years ago

That's gorgeous. That should have been the original art. You've made a lasting contribution.

If there are no licensing concerns, I think you should consider ordering extras while you've got the printer spun up. There's a bigger market than Pinside.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

If there are no licensing concerns, I think you should consider ordering extras while you've got the printer spun up. There's a bigger market than Pinside.

No licensing concerns as far as I know, it's maybe a little grey area even though it's original art. I did base the character off of comic book drawings, but they all seem to be aping the same character going back to the original, so I figure I'm just in on the tradition. I guess the logo maybe, but I dunno who owns the rights to that, I'm not using the movie 3D version, I redrew my own from scratch. It seems to be used in all kinds of mediums all the way back to the 30s pulp novels, so I figured it was safe enough.

I did order a few extras, but I didn't want to sit on a real inventory, I'm just a hobbyist with a day job etc, only so much I can handle. I've already worked out with the printer how to handle doing small runs for the future, so if I get 10 people who want it after it's sold out I can handle that.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

My bad...here's the translite and instruction cards....I'm not a photographer (it's my Samsung Galaxy) and I'm not an LED guy - so those are all incadescent bulbs...what's apparent, though, is you have to have the speaker panel too - it's not complete without it...

Thanks for the photo, I love seeing it in other people's collections. And with incandescents too, haven't seen that yet!

And yeah, you really gotta have the speaker panel. It was the secret to making this whole project work. Talk to our mutual friend about that, make sure you get it.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I think I just figured this out, sending you a PM.

#35 10 years ago

Never wanted a Shadow until now. Funny if that's all it takes.

Stunning job you did.

#36 10 years ago

That is stunning Aurich, if I ever get one of these...

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think I just figured this out, sending you a PM.

PM sent.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Never wanted a Shadow until now. Funny if that's all it takes.
Stunning job you did.

I've actually had more than a few people tell me they were getting Shadows now because of this translite, which is really the biggest compliment anyone could give me, I love it. Not just because it says they like my work, thanks, but also because I really love this game and to have people be interested in it makes me happy.

Maybe some time I'll feel crazy and do new cabinet decals to match. I doubt there would be nearly as much demand, more expensive and a lot more work, but it would be fun to complete the transformation.

Plus if I did new decals I'd remove the extra ball buy in button, smooth it over, and cover it like it was never there! Wish you could take the buy in high scores off the display.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I've actually had more than a few people tell me they were getting Shadows now because of this translite, which is really the biggest compliment anyone could give me, I love it. Not just because it says they like my work, thanks, but also because I really love this game and to have people be interested in it makes me happy.
Maybe some time I'll feel crazy and do new cabinet decals to match. I doubt there would be nearly as much demand, more expensive and a lot more work, but it would be fun to complete the transformation.
Plus if I did new decals I'd remove the extra ball buy in button, smooth it over, and cover it like it was never there! Wish you could take the buy in high scores off the display.

You've found your niche. Any other ugly pin translites you're looking to fix?

I can think of several that need a skilled artist to redo. Destiny is calling!

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

You've found your niche. Any other ugly pin translites you're looking to fix?
I can think of several that need a skilled artist to redo. Destiny is calling!

I dunno. People have been asking me, but I think it would be harder to do it for a machine I didn't own. Logistically, but also just in terms of committing to the time, this took a while. I'm honestly not an illustrator, more of a graphic designer who knows how to fake it.

Plus I'm crazy picky, I get everything looking pretty much together, but then I sit there and tweak it for longer than it took to get to that stage!

WPT and Demolition Man come up a lot, but I can't say either really excite me. What's your list?

#41 10 years ago

Demolition Man gets my vote

#43 10 years ago

I didn't know Alec Baldwin's nose was so big.

#44 10 years ago

Def Flintstones. Just my 2 cents

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from Gundam_Pilot_:

Def Flintstones. Just my 2 cents

I thought there was already a good one for that? Cartoon style. And not the wife swap one, though that's funny. The family safe one.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

Demolition Man gets my vote

Great game, can't get it cause of the BG.
-mof

#47 10 years ago

Great game, can't get it cause of the BG.
-mof

See aulrich, you should make a Demolition Man translite so mof can buy one The only alternate translite available is this one which again I'm not too keen on and looks out of place because it doesn't flow with the speaker panel art.

translite_demolition-man_pinball_willi.jpgtranslite_demolition-man_pinball_willi.jpg

#48 10 years ago

Well one thing about DM (and games like it) is I'm not interested in violating anyone's copyright. So no pictures of actors, no scenes from the movie, none of that is on the table as an option. Frankly I couldn't sell that here, Rick would probably have an email to Robin within 24 hours asking for the thread to be closed at the very least (as is his right).

Flinstones has the same issue, the characters are real specific, not somewhat generic like the Shadow who could look like a lot of different things. Here's that translite I was thinking of BTW:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-flintstones-alternate-translite-family-friendly-version

That doesn't mean there aren't creative ways to solve that, but it does present a bit of a challenge to ponder. Your point about the speaker panel is well taken, luckily that's solvable.

The Shadow was cool, because I basically said "eh, f--- the movie, it wasn't great anyways, but this character it was based on is bad ass, let's take it back to the roots and just ignore the film". There was a great history to fall back on.

#49 10 years ago

This might work.

photo-Demolition-Man-1993-3.jpgphoto-Demolition-Man-1993-3.jpg

#50 10 years ago

Or even this.

601px-DemoMan_066.jpg601px-DemoMan_066.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aurichs-shadow-alt-translite-is-amazing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.