• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0466.JPG

#1 9 years ago

// Error: Image 216742 not found //

I have an Atari space riders machine I am restoring and I ran into a bit of an issue. I just put in a new pcb and when I powered it on it was lighting up well, but the flippers didn't work. That's not the issue, just thought i'd give the full details. I was adjusting a pop bumper one day and all of the sudden seven or so lights on the left side started blinking, but everything else stopped working all together. The auxiliary pcb is making a beep sound when the lights blink. I replaced both caps with new ones, and had the power supply fixed. Could the problem be in the auxiliary pcb?

#2 9 years ago

It sounds like MPU issue. Aux does sound, and display HV and power for lights. Sounds like you lost attract mode which would be MPU.

Quoted from DnR-Pinball:

I just put in a new pcb

What new pcb?

did you have the large black shield over the MPU? where you working on pop bumper with the game on? did you drop anything onto the MPU?

Maybe post a video of what it is doing now. Lamp connectors are the two on the upper right side of the MPU as you are standing in front of machine. Solenoids is the upper left connector.

#3 9 years ago

It was the processor pcb that I got new. yes the game was on when adjusting the pop bumper. No nothing was dropped onto the mpu. No the sheild was not over the MPU. I will post a video as soon as I get it imported. Thanks!!! Nothing dropped on or hit the processor pcb. It was really out of nowhere.

IMG_0466.JPGIMG_0466.JPG
#4 9 years ago

[attachment=1593675,undefined]

[attachment=1593675,]
#5 9 years ago

It won't let me upload from my phone so here is the youtube address. (above)
it's a short vid but i will upload more shortly.

#7 9 years ago

Yeah that really looks like MPU issue. I have fixed a few now, none seem to fail the same. That fail mode i have not seen. I suppose it will not go into test mode seeing that it will not go into attract mode.

#8 9 years ago

would you be willing to do this one? If so how much would it be? I am willing to do what it takes! I got the machine for $250.00 and all that worked was the back box lights. My partners dad, my partner and I fixed the power supply issues, caps, and the primary pcb we just bought for $90.00. And that was at a discounted price because we had the old one. I guess what I'm saying is that I really want this thing working!

#9 9 years ago

I sent you a PM. There are decent troubleshooting steps in the manual that you could follow if you feel adventurous.
It is really step by step.
I guess my biggest question is you paid 90 for a new MPU did it go into attract mode at all(look normal at all)?? before the pop bumper adjusting?? I guess something could have just died as that did happen to me once in ten years but starting to wonder if maybe pop bumper voltage got sent into the switch circuits. Yes adjusting pops with power on is one of the most dangerous things you could have done. I did that once myself on Gottlieb machine and it took out 4 ICs including one 40 pin RIOT chip i was not happy. Live and learn.

1 week later
#10 9 years ago

No it did work all but the flippers and then it happened, so it was most likely my fault

11 months later
#11 8 years ago

Did this problem get resolved? I've got an Airborne Avenger that has the same blinking lights, accompanied by a hum/continuous beep. I've tried to push the start button and test buttons but nothing happens.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/atari-space-riders-blinking-lights and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.