(Topic ID: 73179)

Anyone got tips for cleaning up exploded PF glass out of your game?

By Frax

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Frax
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Most of the loose glass was already shop-vacced out but still got glass dust and crap everywhere. I'm already going to completely tear down the topside to clean EVERYTHING becuase there's still glass under parts I can't get to without doing so... just wondering what the best way to clean the PF/plastics is in order to minimise any scratching. Probably compressed air to blow off the plastics/posts then clean as normal....how about the playfield?

Will have a hell of a story coming up after this all gets resolved...

#2 10 years ago

Can't wait to hear the story!

I'm sure others will have better advice, but I think you're on the right track. I had a backglass glass explode a while back. We thought we cleaned up everything and I'm still finding dust and the occasional bits!

Be glad it wasn't plate!

#3 10 years ago

sorry to hear this, something i would never like to happen to my or anyone else's pins, all the best

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Probably compressed air to blow off the plastics/posts then clean as normal....how about the playfield?

Use extreme caution on using compressed air on broken glass. Use safety glasses, leather gloves, and do not blow glass chards towards yourself or others. Generally, take your time with a strong vacuum, and suck up the glass. You will not get all of it. Glass pieces will mysteriously show up later.

#5 10 years ago

Was going to take the stripped pieces outside before blowing them off, but yeah... I have some safety goggles around. I'm not talking about big shards here but it doesn't take much...what I have left and will be dealing with really is "dust" level crud...nothing bigger than a few grains of sand at most.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Probably compressed air to blow off the plastics/posts then clean as normal....how about the playfield?

If you are careful, a simultaneous application of vacuum and air pressure can get it cleaned up pretty good; really need 2 people to make that work well.

The air will push the pieces to where the vacuum can pick them up; though nothing is better than stripping the whole game down and vacuuming.

Robert

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Use extreme caution on using compressed air on broken glass. Use safety glasses, leather gloves, and do not blow glass chards towards yourself or others. Generally, take your time with a strong vacuum, and such up the glass. You will not get all of it. Glass pieces will mysteriously show up later.

+1 on this.. it usually involves taking the game all the way apart..

And just when you think your done, more will show its ugly head...

the biggest deal is the eye wear, be careful :)_

#8 10 years ago

at work to get hot particles or other microscopic rad containmation off of us they queit often use duct tape- fairly effective.
    i would use it after an intence vac job.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from lladnip:

at work to get hot particles or other microscopic rad containmation off of us they queit often use duct tape- fairly effective.i would use it after an intence vac job.

My wife actually suggested this last night.. I wasn't sure if it was worth the trouble of leaving adhesive all over, but I guess if I completely strip the top of the playfield, can't do much harm and will be easy to clean anyways...

#10 10 years ago

dont, drag the tape the glass dust you cant see is very hard and will scratch and do a little hazeing (not reallly much but its bad pratace smearing it all around) , anwaays they just pat us down fairly firm and 95% of the time it get the radioactive particle up- if not it just means it got through the cloths and got into a skin pore...... dealing with firm ,solid surfaces your have an good recovery ratio

have fun

#11 10 years ago

I had one explode about 3 years ago, I'm still finding piece's.

#12 10 years ago

No matter how you do it or how well you will find pieces of glass in or from that machine for years. No great method to get it all just take your time and do the best job you can and that is about all you can do. We have been lucky and never have had one of ours explode but I have purchased several machines over the past few years I know it has happened to and I never got 100% of the glass out of any of them no matter how hard I tried.

#13 10 years ago

I kept finding glass "cubes" in the playfield switches in the one pin that came to me with the playfield shattered. A true pain in the ass to try and get it all out. I never stopped finding glass, even after multiple cleanings.

The worst was when I would clean and wax I would see my finger bleeding when a tiny sliver of glass would get caught in my cleaning cloth and cut me.

The solution I found? I sold the game.

#14 10 years ago

There's a reason this one exploded.. wasn't my fault.... regardless, I'm going to deal with it and selling the game isn't a viable option at this point. Not even remotely interested in doing so anyways.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from mg81:

The solution I found? I sold the game.

...by the way...do you know John Skerchock?

#16 10 years ago

use a painter's respirator when vacuuming or the air compressor. you don't want to breath or otherwise ingest glass shards

also, the sticky sheets from a clothing lint roller should be helpful. it's got enough tack to pick up the tiniest of glass pieces without being too tacky to leave any residue on the playfield.

be sure and *DON'T* drag anything on the surface of your playfield to prevent micro scratches in the clear from the glass shards

#17 10 years ago

How does this happen? Been restoring games since 1998 and it has never happened to me. Have I just been lucky?

#18 10 years ago

I am joking about my solution. I did not sell the game because I got tired of finding glass in it. I would have sold it regardless, I did not like the pin.

But selling it was the only total solution I found for getting rid of the glass. As too-many-pins mentions, you will always find glass.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from rx3:

How does this happen? Been restoring games since 1998 and it has never happened to me. Have I just been lucky?

Well, for me it happens when some asshat dumps a pin off a pallet.

#20 10 years ago

If I had to do it over again for cleaning up glass. I would:
    1-use a big shop vac with a brush type attachment to get all of the big easy to get glass.
    2-strip the playfield as much as you possibly can.
    3-use a small brush,dental probes and tweezers in combination with a good vacuum that has a small attachment that can get you into tight places.

My mistake was not stripping the playfield and not having good tools to pull/poke glass out. Use the hard tools to get the glass free and let the vacuum suck it up. For me the hardest spots were the hole in the playfield. Glass cubes will get wedged into places and you can't figure out how they got into them so you can pull the glass out.

I would NOT use compressed air that is just going to blow crap all over the place and make areas you cleaned dirty again.

Just systematically start at one end and work to the other with a full set of tools at your disposal to get in the tight spots. Planning on "coming back" to hard spots did not work out for me. Pins are nothing but tight spots to come back to later.

Best of luck

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from mg81:

I would NOT use compressed air that is just going to blow crap all of the place and make areas you cleaned dirty again.

Was talking about just on stuff I've removed from the pin, and the inside of my house.... i.e. remove slingshot plastic, take outside, blast it with canned air, clean as normal.

#22 10 years ago

For that use compressed air seems fine. I would not use it to try and dislodge something from the playfield, like in the holes that have the switches.

Compressed air can be great for cleaning somethings. But sometimes it seems to cause more problems. It is just too random in how it moves things when spraying it at something that has lots of angles/corners/crevices.

2 months later
    #23 10 years ago

For the record:

Blue painters tape. This stuff has saved my life. Once I completely stripped the top of the PF, I covered the entire bloody thing in blue tape, twice. lladnip was totally right about tape on this one. I laid it down in overlapping strips, smoothed it down gently, then pulled it back as one big solid sheet of tape. The first pass got 95% of everything I could see, the second pass got the rest, and I couldn't find any glass dust particles after that. Cleaned up a few small things here or there that fell out of the side rails when we replaced them, but other than re-taping and picking up some stray cubes, all the glass is gone. Going to vaccum out the cabinet head and body again just to be sure, but I'm pretty sure at this point that I've eliminated 99%+ of the glass. I've got nothing in slots, holes, or mechs, nothing hanging around in the harness under the playfield.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-got-tips-for-cleaning-up-exploded-pf-glass-out-of-your-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.