Anyone else do a ridiculous restore on a less conventional title?

Started 2 years ago by lukerp in forum All PinballAll Pinball.

Forum » All Pinball » Topic

Anyone else do a ridiculous restore on a less conventional title?

Topic summary

• Started 2 years ago by lukerp
  • 37 Pinsiders participating in this thread.
  • Latest reply from system11

Tilts/ ignores / abuse

Sharing and favs

Games linked to topic

Help us build a pinball game knowledge base by linking topics to the games discussed in them!

2 years ago
    #

Hey all,

I never said I was the smartest person out there, but I thought I'd float this one out there. It seems people are willing to put up quite a bit of money to restore higher-end games (AFM, TZ, MB, that sort of thing). I was wondering if anyone here has dumped a fair amount of money into some less popular title just out of love for the game?

The reason I ask is I have a reasonable collection of games; nothing horribly extravagant by the standards here, but well rounded. I'm planning on putting quite a bit of money, money that I know I won't get out of the games, into both Flash and Pin*Bot. Anyone else do this just because they love a particular game?

I guess my take on it is that my Mom's first car was a '67 Challenger with a 383, and my Dad's was a '66 Fairlane 500 with the 390. I've always thought it would be cool to have one or both of those in the garage, and no one would bat an eye if I dropped fifteen or twenty thousand on either (okay, I could probably get a really nice Fairlane for that kind of money, but you get the point). Does anyone view pins the same way? Just some food for thought.

Luke

2 years ago
    #

Dumping money into Pin*Bot is never a waste in my eyes... Definitely an all time classic machine; it's what got me into pinball in the first place. If CPR has any new repro PF's left after the pre-orders are filled, I am definitely picking one up and dropping one in. (Mmmmm... Clear coated P*B.)

As for the GL I picked up, sure I won't get what I put into it back, but- the rewarding journey from "beat" to "beautiful" will eclipse any $$$ I spent- aaand... If I can save a neglected pin in the process that might have been abused further, or possibly scrapped for parts, then I can say I did my job as a responsible pinhead!

Go for it Luke.

2 years ago
    #

Hey,

Yeah, I've had my preorder in for the Pin*Bot for some time, and there is someone looking for a NOS or similar playfield on RGP to do a scan for Flash. Ah, hobbies...

Luke

2 years ago
    #

Mine was a bit newer than that but I went mad on a Whodunnit (not a loved game in the UK), clearcoat, new plastics, new ramps, legs, dmd, etc, etc. A buddy of mine has just made me a working roulette wheel! » YouTube video

2 years ago
    #

I dumped a lot ( A LOT! ) of money into a Gottlieb Volcano.

Found a wonderful guy who sold me a practically brand spanking new inner backglass he had hanging in his gameroom for 20 years. Bought a set of the PBR repro plastics. Did a complete playfield restoration with clearcoat. Cleaned all under playfield assemblies, polished every nut bolt and screw. Replacement drop targets, flipper rebuild, new rubbers, the whole works. Rebuilt power supply, did all ground mods, and pull up resistor mods. Added caps to solenoids to prevent sparking/arcing, and even added in-line fuses to the coils that aren't CPU controlled (slings, kickers). Only thing I didn't touch was the cabinet as I really don't have the tools or knowledge to do cabinet restoration.

Sold it to a System 80 collector from MN. Real nice guy. He seemed to like it

https://picasaweb.google.com/110151734903422637614/VolcanoBefore
    https://picasaweb.google.com/110151734903422637614/VolcanoTouchedUpAndClearcoated
    https://picasaweb.google.com/110151734903422637614/VolcanoAfter
    https://picasaweb.google.com/110151734903422637614/VolcanoBackglass

2 years ago
    #

Money is just money and never wasted if you love what yer doing bro. Personally never cared for pinbot (blasphemous, I know, just my taste) but if you love it, then no dough is wasted if it's well spent. If you're anything like me, working on a project you can really get into is as rewarding as playing the finished product. Have fun with it and don't think about the bucks.

2 years ago
    #

Yeah, a couple of times. Supersonic, went all out. Flash Gordon, in the process of going all out on it. FH broke the bank! Had allot of fun on all of them. Seems that when I get them done though, I play for a month and lose interest. Time to trade and lose money! But its more therapeutic than investment for me.

2 years ago
    #

If you love the game, enjoy the hobby. you might be surprised as when it comes time to change, another collector may appreciate your work enough to let you break even. I would bet that there are a lot out there that are looking for nice examples of such titles.

I'd see the money you spend not so much on the game but on yourself.

Dan

2 years ago
    #
    NimblePin said:

aaand... If I can save a neglected pin in the process that might have been abused further, or possibly scrapped for parts, then I can say I did my job as a responsible pinhead!
    Go for it Luke.

This.

I am no restorer but 2 of my pins I bought becaused someone cared enough to save a pin from the scrap heap....I just can't see these classic pins being gone and forgotten forever. Or in the hands of someone else who just doesn't care. For that reason id rather have one that plays solid but will never be CQ perfect than NIB (not that I will never own NIB)....they were meant to be played!

2 years ago
    #

One of my projects on down the road is to totally restore a Marilyn Taxi.I will send off the not so worn pf to be restored and will be restoring the cabinet with new custom decals that I design.I am thinking of having Marilyn instead of Santa and Dracula hijacked the Taxi.

2 years ago
    #

I've dumped good money into my Gorgar. The NOS Backglass from Mayfair Amusements is beautiful. I think that ran me around $300. I also did the Pin LED displays, brought a complete set of repro plastics and full flipper rebuilds. While not huge money, I'm in over what the Gorgar street value is. When the CPR playfield is done I'll likely get one too.

To me Gorgar is just a great classic pin with historic signifance. Yeah, the whole first talking pin thing, but also because it was one of the first pins I played as a kid at my local 7-11 in Montvale, NJ. The heartbeat really gets your adrenaline going. I added a subwoofer to it and you can really feel the heartbeat ... creepy good fun.

2 years ago
    #

I paid $1200 for a Flipper Football that had a very nice cabinet. I then bought an NOS playfield, had it cleared and swapped it into the game. New plastics were a little spendy for this title and any parts I needed had to come from Australia.

Ive got some stupid money in this game but it's worth it when it comes party time.

Bryan (CARGPB 14)
    http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins

2 years ago
    #

yep just did a few weeks ago, Bally Playboy, see thread here: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-playboy-restoration

the only reason i did it was because its the first game i bought years ago and i remember playing this game everday when i was 12/14 years old. good times.

machine me cost me 2000+, yeah thats a lot. will probaly buy a new door and side rail in the futur.
    but the satisfaction when its all done is worth every penny.

2 years ago
    #

Go for it Luke!! I'm about to put alot more money into my EATPM than it will ever be worth. It was my first pin and one of my all time favorites. Since I'm never going to sell it, it won't matter. I just want to restore her to her former glory if possible. Restores like yours and mine are true labors of love. BTW, as previously noted, a PinBot is definitely not a waste of money.

2 years ago
    #

I don't think it's a bad idea.

I would like a fully restored Flash. That was one of my favorite games as a kid. The trifecta was Flash, Gorgar and Black Knight.

2 years ago
    #

I think a restore on a lesser title is better than on an A-lister. I've played on really nice TAF and TZ tables, they're around.

But an immaculate Volcano or Flash? You don't see that every day.

Restoring an pin is good, but restoring a rarer on does more to preserve pinball.

2 years ago
    #

This thread makes me feel so much better about myself.

I've been churning away on a Flash Gordon for the last few months. It was a barn-find. Ming's bashful and only speaks half the time he should. The inside of the coin door was almost completely oxidized and still has intermittent switch shorts. And damn near every under-playfield screw has been stripped. Even toothpicks don't help. Seriously, I get about 4 games before the flippers get wobbly and I have to re-tighten them. The flipper solenoids had been hand-wound , complete with shorts across the diodes. The solenoid board was from a EBD (RIP wherever you are!). The light board was from a different FG. And the cabinet and head have different serial number stamps. At least there were no raccoon nests and somehow the backglass is near perfect.

A sane man would've walked away, but I couldn't let it stay there. FG takes me back to the halcyon days when I would play it in the Galleon of Games and then ride my bike across Rt. 40 to the Chatham Mall and play Firepower.

Obviously, I'm waiting on pins and needles for the CPR FG playfield pre-sales to ship!

2 years ago
    #

I spend a lot of time and a fair amount of money on a JM restore

2 years ago
    #

A well-groomed, athletic, popular child from a wealthy family goes to college..

A child from a broken home, stricken with illness when younger, struggles against adversity and is the first in his/her family to go to college..

Which one of these is the feel-good story?

2 years ago
    #

Hey,

Well, that seems to tell me what I need to know. We'll see how this beast works out for me...

Luke

2 years ago
    #

Don't forget to post some pics of your progress.

2 years ago
    #

If you love the pin and like the process of restoring and accept that you probably won't get the $$$ back that you got into it...that's all that matters.

donjagra

Pinball master
    3,003,000 4
    2 years ago
    #

I am feeling better about the money I am putting into a Strange Science after reading this thread.

2 years ago
    #

All are nice restorations Clifford. Where are the ridiculous game pics? Happy birthday BTW

2 years ago
    #

cliffy, that 1973 Wurlitzer is amazing i'm going nuts overhere!

yeah i'd give my left nut for one like this!

2 years ago
    #

My Space Shuttle (still being restored):
    $450 - pin itself
    $650 - new playfield & plastics
    $100 - new power supply from pinscore
    $100 - new soundboard
    $150 - new ramp and shuttle
    $135 - stencil kit to repaint cabinet
    $25 - new glass
    ---------
    $1610

Could I get that much for it in perfect shape? probably not. Don't really care, love it and won't be getting rid of it for a long time

2 years ago
    #
    blownfuse said:

All are nice restorations Clifford. Where are the ridiculous game pics? Happy birthday BTW

Thanks, Steve! No such thing as a ridiculous game in my house A game worthy of ridicule won't enter here... I hope

2 years ago
    #

I bought a $600 NOS playfield that I will eventually put in my $600 Jungle Lord. Doesn't matter, I love that game.

2 years ago
    #

How bout this one? Everything cosmetic is NOS.

2 years ago
    #

By the time I'm done...I'm going to have, in my mind, the World's most expensive Firepower. But I love this game and it's the reason I started collecting in the first place.

2 years ago
    #

I've put quite a bit into Waterworld.....but if you enjoy it who cares hobbies cost money

2 years ago
    #

Nice Pink Panther Steve. I'll give ya $300 for it right now J/K! It's a lot more fun than people give it credit for.

2 years ago
    #

Uh ... thanks but no thanks.

Cliffy said:

Nice Pink Panther Steve. I'll give ya $300 for it right now.

2 years ago
    #
    beatmaster said:

cliffy, that 1973 Wurlitzer is amazing i'm going nuts overhere!

"going nuts" another fine and rare Gottlieb system 80. Steve has a super nice one too but sadly it is in dire need of a backglass. Any pinsiders happen to be sitting on one? I'm sure Steve would LOVE to hear from you!

The Wurly has been a great party hit and if you have the room I recommend everyone should have a classic jukebox. People of all ages love watching the mech picking up and putting away those 45rpm records

2 years ago
    #

I have easily $2500+ and 100+ hours into a sample t2 with horribly worn playfield and tattered cabinet.

It plays very nicely, everything has been cleaned and polished, and the ramp is new.

I had the shooter replated too.

No playfield restorer would take it on, and even if they would, the cabinet is rough and the sample cab artwork is different than production.

http://gallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/t2_sample

I try to give all my games this level of work, I'm doing it for me, not for hire, and it's what I enjoy doing. I'll be giving a Flintstones the same treatment soon.

2 years ago
    #
    pinster68 said:

To me Gorgar is just a great classic pin with historic signifance.

One of my first experiences with pinball too. You're right, that heartbeat sound is an adrenaline rush. I Love Gorgar!!!!

Jobi said:

I think a restore on a lesser title is better than on an A-lister. I've played on really nice TAF and TZ tables, they're around.

But an immaculate Volcano or Flash? You don't see that every day.

I totally agree. When was the last time you came across a mint condition Gorgar, Haunted House, Superman..Etc. you just don't see them everyday and when you do, it's something special.

2 years ago
    #

What about a decent Frankenstein BH? This one is a combination of 12 different BH's through the years to make the best one I could without any repainting. Also, I've added a few "special" modifications to it (some don't show up in the pics very well).

2 years ago
    #

I didn't put a Ton of money into a Space Odyssey, but definitely more than what it is worth! I melted some of my plastics trying to straighten them in a Gas stove. Those alone where $80. New PF Glass $35.. Auto Clear $30 ... Misc Parts...?
    It was Fun though ! So I would do it again..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61462698@N07/sets/72157626855316155/

Thanks for looking, Bill in Indiana

2 years ago
    #

I put $450 into a SuperSonic. Sold it for $150 more than I bought it...but had a ton of fun doing it.

I dont think I still have the close up pics saved on my computer.

2 years ago
    #
    blownfuse said:

What about a decent Frankenstein BH?

Great game and nice job.

2 years ago
    #

Thanks, there is no wear on either playfield at all. My favorite mods I've done to the game were the 7 digit conversion, an upkicker mod to keep the coil from burning and make the upkicker power adjustable (no more slamming the gate, shield plastic or playfield glass) and a blue LED lighted upkicker tube that comes on when you get the gate open.

Great game and nice job.

2 years ago
    #
    blownfuse said:

y favorite mods I've done to the game were the 7 digit conversion, an upkicker mod to keep the coil from burning and make the upkicker power adjustable (no more slamming the gate, shield plastic or playfield glass) and a blue LED lighted upkicker tube that comes on when you get the gate open.

That's pretty sweet.

2 years ago
    #

ive probably put around 4k into a demo man, but boy is it a sweet example

2 years ago
    #

I know I deeply regret not grabbing the NOS Rollergames ramp assembly for $250 on Ebay not too long ago. Would've made a very nice addition to my DP playfield.

2 years ago
    #

wowwwwwwwww

2 years ago
    #
    Honch said:

That's pretty sweet.

I agree, very clever blownfuse!

2 years ago
    #

Thanks again guys, on any mod I do, I try to make it enhance the game and not make it look gaudy. That goes for any mod for making a game more reliable too, it has to look like it was always there.

2 years ago
    #

I've dumped a bunch into Waterworld....more than what its worth on the street...being 1995 dmd game I feel its worth more for the technology, but well we all know how the real value is....

2 years ago
    #
    terrable said:

wowwwwwwwww

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or sign in if you already have one.

© 2001-2014 Pinside.com All rights reserved. Jump to topRSS feedsHelpContactCookiesDesigned by Keeple