(Topic ID: 76517)

any info on buying from GRC / Gameroom Collectibles / Wide Area Repair?

By gameroomguru

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

policecar.png
    image-574.jpg
    image-382.jpg
    image-564.jpg
    Danni073111 013.jpg
    image-909.jpg
    image.jpg
    image-921.jpg
    image-283.jpg
    image-514.jpg
    image-9.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

We were recently (& have been traditionally) accused (politely) by a gentleman who has no experience with us as a customer of "gouging" our customers. I know that some of our customers & some of our REPEAT customers are here. Please share your experience honestly & please only post if you have purchased machines or service from us.

1 week later
    #2 10 years ago

I purchased a machine from GRC 28 years ago and the next thing i knew... BAM!!! Herpes. True story.

In all seriousness, I have never purchased a machine from them or any retailer. Although, I will likely buy from them at some point in the future. I base this decision off of their knowledge and eagerness to help others fix their machines while asking practically nothing in return. These guys have helped me to learn A LOT about both EM and SS games.

#3 10 years ago

I've had Ray do work for me before. He's one of the best techs in the business.

#4 10 years ago

So, just to be devils advocate, someone has to actually buy a machine from you to have an experience with you?

If I go in a car lot, and test drive a car, and the salesman takes digs at his competitor and seems slimy to me because of it, and I take my money elsewhere, my experience with that car salesman is not valid? I can't tell other people buying cars that I decided to not buy from X dealership,and here is why?

A hobbyist pinball collector is often going to think a brick and mortar pinball seller is gouging. I'm sure you know that

They want cheap pinball
    You want to keep the lights on, and feed your family.

#5 10 years ago

About a year and a half ago, I contacted TNT Amusements to shop my favorite pin which I've owned since 1998, Indiana Jones. Aside from the frighteningly poor aesthetics (dirty playfield, burnt out incandescent lights, cracked rubbers, etc., the pin was in need of a serious mechanical overhaul. TNT is close to my house and, after an in-person visit and several calls, my machine was set to be rehabbed. I was told someone from their service department would call to schedule a date for me to drop off the pin. One challenge: TNT never called. And while I followed up a bevy of times, it was lucid clear that TNT simply wasn't interested in my business. I've purchased pins and video arcades from Todd in the past but will never be a TNT customer again. As luck would have it, I discovered Game Room Collectibles (GRC) after my dad visited Mike to look at a few games in his showroom. And while I can practically walk to TNT, I drove my game over one hour to Mike for the IJ restoration, and I couldn't be happier with the final result. Mike went out of his way to send me detailed e-mail updates, video links to gameplay, pictures of restoration progress and he was always available by telephone. Almost one year later, the game plays error free and is a marvel still to behold thanks to GRC. Ray, GRC's master pinball tech, has been to my father's house to work on his pins, has repaired my friend's MM & R&B and was recently at my house to work on another of my pins. In fact, when Ray left after his last service visit, a similar issue resurfaced several days later (as it turns out, I blew a fuse from two mods and a laseriffic topper). Ray returned and fixed the problem free of charge. No - for me, GRC is the only local seller / restorer / servicer of all things pinball and gaming I or my circle of friends would ever use. And while I've always had an endless affinity for playing pinball, I didn't begin to consider the service / restoration end of things until after Mike worked on my IJ and I started spending more time reading on Pinside and truly educating myself on the hobby. Looking back on it, the IJ restoration costs were minimal compared to the time Mike and Ray put into making my old machine really special. It never looked that sweet! With grave and level voice, I would recommend Mike, Ray and the folks at GRC for any pinball related needs you might have - their work is spectacular and I can use only the superlative to describe my dealings with them. Keep up the good work fellas'!

#6 10 years ago

Ray is the BEST tech there is period - he works on my collection of both arcade and pinball and they range from 1930's to current day - vending machine, pinball, fortune tellers, jukeboxes, gun games, slot machines, pre-war pins, woodrails, wedgeheads, Stern, Bally / Williams, vintage unusual arcade stuff - NOTHING STUMPS HIM and he has parts in his van for damn near everything... Oh and he does board repairs too...

Mike does a first class, no bullshit, no cutting corners restoration. I bought a Seawitch he and Ray did and the game is impeccible. Full cabinet paint, PF, electronics, mechanical, new parts... And the game plays like lightning as it should. Doesn't take away from the way the game should look when it was original either. That's big faux paux with many 'restorers' who take liberties with colors, shiny parts, etc... When GRC does a game it looks like it just came out of the factory when it was made.

They are doing a Taxi PF swap for me now and I got a encyclopedia evaluation - every part recommended to replace and an explanation of why and the cost. Allowed me to evaluate and set a budget and discuss with them multiple times what was best for the game, it's playability, and most importantly getting the most out of my restoration dollar so that I ended up satisfied.

And the tech tip videos are a free service nobody is doing out there either. Check out their channel on You Tube.

A+

Joe Newhart
    PinballSTAR Amusements

#7 10 years ago

I really think the bottom line is you only get what you pay for when buying machines. I have never & will never buy a machine from any retailer because we enjoy buying projects & fixing them but to me you just can't compare TNT & GRC.

Take a machine like Strange Science which both have recently had up for sale. Todd has what looked to be a decent fixed up but used Strange Science up a few weeks ago for something like $2500. It looked pretty decent overall but it was basically a fixed up and shopped out machine. Mike also has a Strange Science for sale but the one he & Ray have looks 10 times better than new. But GRC is asking $6500 for it - more than double the price of the one TNT has.

Personally I think both are over priced but I also understand that there is a huge difference between the two machines and I don't think either price is more crazy than the other. It really just depends on what you are looking for and how much you want (or are willing) to pay for it.

One thing I will say is no one wins by bashing the other guy it just makes two guys that are both very good for the hobby (in different ways) look silly & stupid. There is nothing wrong with being proud of what you do but there is no need to bash what the other guy does trying to make yourself look better in the process. This just makes everyone look bad.

From what I understand Ray is a great service guy and he should be proud of what he does. And if you have ever seen any of the machines at GRC they are about as nice as it gets and Mike should also be proud of those machines. On the other hand Todd & his guys have been in the business for years and it is hard not to love Todd for some of the stuff he has done over the years. I think there is plenty of room for both of these businesses in PA and I doubt either is really having any impact on the other. They are catering to two totally different markets and when they start throwing stones at each other it is just making both look bad.

To Mike (who I have to assume started this topic) I say keep up the good work on those machines and you guys will keep doing well. And to Todd I say stop comparing apples & oranges - they are both fruit - just like pinball machines are both pinball machines but you guys are selling something totally different than Mike & Ray. Embrace each other for who you are and for what each of you gives to the hobby and all of you will be better off.

#8 10 years ago

Hey Mike, are you referring to what I said in my thread?
    If that's the case I just want to clarify a little.

I was talking about your vids in your youtube channel. Both you and Mat often bash and talk down about other people in the pinball community. If you want to be professional you should keep your opinions private between you and your friends, you are after all representing GRC in you youtube vids.

I have no experience from your business but you have to understand that bashing others only make yourself look bad and unprofessional, and I bet that you don't want that to reflect on to your business. I am able to take a joke like the next guy, for example I though that your list why pins are better then women were pretty funny.

Just something to think about.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from webdiddy:

Both you and Mat often bash and talk down about other people in the pinball community. If you want to be professional you should keep your opinions private between you and your friends

Wait a second - it was I, an impartial pin aficionado with dealings with both companies, who mentioned the competition - not Mike. I've watched many of GRC's videos and your embellishing quite a bit. As Horace once mused, "What prevents me from speaking the truth with a smile?" And as far as keeping an opinion private, I would posit that you've never been to Philly.

#10 10 years ago

i have bought many games from grc, and had nothing but an awesome experience, ray has also,repaired boards for me. they do a great total restoration job on any game you bring them, or they supply, that doesn't mean they just whipe down where they can reach and install some leds, they totally tear down repaint if needed, and generally resurrect games from the dead, you will defiantly get your moneys worth.
    As far as the other guy, i bought a video game for a customer, from you know who, supposedly restored, i had to repair the track ball within a few games, thats what you get for your money from them.

#11 10 years ago

Thank you Matt, Joe, Greg, Shawn, & GuidoTorpedo (Not sure who you are...)! You (& your testimonials here) are beyond appreciated! You've brought Ray & I a fresh round of smiles & motivation to keep on doing what we do. We couldn't do it without you guys!

TooManyPins & Webdiddy - thank you guys also for your polite input & for your support of our YouTube efforts.

#12 10 years ago

Bought my Space Shuttle from Mike about a year age and am very happy with it. Thanks Mike and Ray.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

Wait a second - it was I, an impartial pin aficionado with dealings with both companies, who mentioned the competition - not Mike. I've watched many of GRC's videos and your embellishing quite a bit. As Horace once mused, "What prevents me from speaking the truth with a smile?" And as far as keeping an opinion private, I would posit that you've never been to Philly.

I don't think that he is embellishing at at all. Have you seen their 15 min rant against TNT because they indirectly mentioned an machine that GRC had for sale on eBay? Here are the links:

TNT's Mention:

Now, here is GRC's response:

#14 10 years ago

Painful.

Quoted from vid1900:

It's best to find out the attitude and personalities of sellers before making a purchase.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from Ronnie1114:

I don't think that he is embellishing at at all. Have you seen their 15 min rant against TNT because they indirectly mentioned an machine that GRC had for sale on eBay? Here are the links:
    TNT's Mention:
    » YouTube video
    Now, here is GRC's response:
    » YouTube video

Wow, someone needs to apologize for overreacting.

#16 10 years ago

Hey mike, can GRC restore this taxi back to life?
    image-514.jpgimage-514.jpgimage-9.jpgimage-9.jpg

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

One thing I will say is no one wins by bashing the other guy it just makes two guys that are both very good for the hobby (in different ways) look silly & stupid. There is nothing wrong with being proud of what you do but there is no need to bash what the other guy does trying to make yourself look better in the process. This just makes everyone look bad

I don't like the fighting or bashing either. If you want to rip on someone else's workmanship (crappy decals for cabinets or shoddy work you have to fix), I'm all for that. Talking about how someone else runs their business just isn't necessary. Clearly Ray is a very knowledgeable skilled tech and his work speaks greater volumes than your mouths ever will.

Just keep restoring great pinballs, keep doing great tech videos, keep everyone's pinballs in the PA area serviced, and you will have a successful business. The customers will hopefully realize the overpriced pinballs that TNT sells with minimal work can be had directly from the original sellers for 2/3 the price.

#18 10 years ago

I am a very happy GRC customer.

My Lord of the Rings LE and my Hook both came from GRC - they will not be the last.

YES - there is ABSOLUTELY some "premium" (i.e. profit) in the pricing BUT - to me, well worth it. The games I got are in exemplary condition and also I know that GRC/Wide Area "has my back" when I need repair help. I don't particularly have a problem with the pricing because my games are purchased and I will KEEP THEM - I am not looking into the future to sell or profit from them - I am looking to PLAY AND ENJOY them - and unconcerned with "backend profit" or flipping for any kind of monetary gain on my games. They are not going anywhere. If you are super-fixated on "the money" and have a problem with a private business** earning a fair profit, then I would say that you can buy from Craigs List and deal with the equally penny pinching sellers on there. DO NOT FORGET that GRC operates a "storefront" that you can actually walk into and "shop" - I think there is great value in this. "You get what you pay for".

**Full disclosure - I am also a self-employed business owner - not in the pinball arena.

I have no problem with "using a retailer" (and in fact I use more than one) for my game purchases - though in reality I do a combination of things - including purchases off of (the dreaded) Craigs List (only good experiences for me) and also at shows.

Ray/ Wide Area Repairs has been great when I have hired him to come for a visit to repair a game - or recently, more than one game. I am HAPPY to pay him for his expertise. True story - during his November 2013 visit, one of my games needed a part - Ray disappeared for about 10-15 minutes to go out to his van. One of my games needed some metal part/doohickey to be replaced - and he was out in the van/workshop MAKING a new part. That's the guy with the expertise you want to fix your games!

As for the competition between TNT/GRC - I too have "bristled" at some of the sayings I have seen levelled by either side....but even so - they DO get along and guess what? Here we all are DISCUSSING it - because we find it to be either funny, offensive, or (like me) a combination of the two. "Publicity" for both businesses due to the oddball cultish following that wonders what we will see them say or do to each other next. It bothered me at one point, but it DOES turn out that it is a bit of a "friendly" competition - though the kisses between them are often spiked with poison. LOL

I have no problem recommending GRC/Wide Area to ANYONE who would like to purchase a game from them.

#19 10 years ago

That's all I'm trying to say. Their product seems to be a quality product. The customers seem to be happy. This could all be done without the digs at their competitors.

If anything, those digs make them look unprofessional, which will cost them business.

Let the product speak for itself, your competitors will speak for themselves, too. If they take a dig at you, show some restraint and don't dig back.

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from IntralotTech:

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from Naturalprogress:

I purchased a machine from GRC 28 years ago and the next thing i knew... BAM!!! Herpes. True story.
    In all seriousness, I have never purchased a machine from them or any retailer. Although, I will likely buy from them at some point in the future. I base this decision off of their knowledge and eagerness to help others fix their machines while asking practically nothing in return. These guys have helped me to learn A LOT about both EM and SS games.

thanks! coffee thru my nose this morning!

#22 10 years ago

That GRC bash video reminds me of an upstart pin company's Principal bashing an established company & its' Principal. Look how that turned out for the basher.

After watching that there is no way I would buy anything from GRC. Imagine how they must talk about their customers.

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Imagine how they must talk about their customers.

Yes, please do that. In fact, if you can read, no need to imagine how our customers talk about us. See above. Oh wait, you expressed your inability to read by posting in this thread in the first place. Hmm....

#24 10 years ago

image-9.jpg 60 KB

image-514.jpg 52 KB

Bring it!

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from gameroomguru:

Yes, please do that. In fact, if you can read, no need to imagine how our customers talk about us. See above. Oh wait, you expressed your inability to read by posting in this thread in the first place. Hmm....

Oh snap!
    image-283.jpgimage-283.jpg

#26 10 years ago

Mike,
    What would Felix say about restoring this mess?
    image-921.jpgimage-921.jpg

#27 10 years ago

Mike,
    What would Felix say about restoring this mess?

image-921.jpg 63 KB

Where are you getting these? Southhampton showroom?

#28 10 years ago

cite="#1404648">Where are you getting these? Southhampton showroom?

*rolls eyes*

#29 10 years ago

I have two games refurbished by GRC at home. Both work great. I'm merely a player and long time pinball enthusiast, sadly I have no idea how to fix anything. Embarrassed to admit that I tried to replace a bulb and shattered it then I bled and cried all over the playfield. Purchasing a fixer upper and working on it at home is a bit out of my range. Thankfully there's knowledgeable and honest retailers who go above and beyond for their customers.

There are all types of people who purchase pins. I am aware that this forum is heavily populated by very handy hobbyists and collectors who may not have a personal need for any game retailers. This is a great place to go if you want a pin your way. You can give them a game sitting unloved for 20 years being pooped on by barn owls and (if you have the desire and the budget) they can make it a gleaming showstopper... or if you want they can clean it up and make it work. It's about making satisfied customers. I've noticed there is no one who has done business with GRC that has said anything negative. Also, Ray is both personable and fantastic at what he does. Pinball machines will break and for the stuff that is beyond your skill level, you should be so lucky to be within his range of service.

I'm definitely biased because I've known Jim and Mike for a while through the local pinball community and from playing together in leagues and tournaments. Met Ray through them. All are hard working and detail oriented in their approach to pinball. Also great fellas.

About the little local rivalry, it's not all out warfare. There's no real animosity. I've seen the two companies meet face to face at an auction and it was all good natured ribbing and smiles. I can see why some folks would find some of the "bashing" a problem. If I didn't know and adore these guys and gals personally, I might be upset by that stuff too... I cried over breaking a bulb, didn't I?

-Brenna

#30 10 years ago

I asked others to imagine how YOU talk about others. Now there is no need to imagine anything. You should get ban votes from Youtube.

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I asked others to imagine how YOU talk about others. Now there is no need to imagine anything. You should get ban votes from Youtube.

:::yawn::: :::cough, cough, troll, cough, cough::: No need to imagine. I talk about people how I see fit, with honesty. Our customers (obviously) know this. Trolls also know this (don't you?). Competitors know this. The good ones get complimented. The bad ones get bashed. Period. Get over it & go blabber elsewhere.

#32 10 years ago

Man, this is exactly why people pile on you guys. The pinball community is a very small one, and you can't go around being jerks to people all the time. Every time you do, you remove at least one of them from your potential buying pool. Keep it up, and that pool ends up being far too shallow to dive into.

Stop acting like prideful teenagers and chill out a bit.

#33 10 years ago

The usual suspects are finding their way to this thread, obviously. Vote Gerry for moderator. Perhaps some established ones should be retired for nonsensical abuse of power? A hint of fascism amok? Yep.

Quoted from jar155:

The pinball community is a very small one, and you can't go around being jerks to people all the time.

We are admittedly & deliberately jerky towards jerky people. We try to refuse having jerky customers. Taking a vacation from this silliness. Be back sometime after my next ban expires.

#34 10 years ago

We were recently (& have been traditionally) accused (politely) by a gentleman who has no experience with us as a customer of "gouging" our customers. I know that some of our customers & some of our REPEAT customers are here. Please share your experience honestly & please only post if you have purchased machines or service from us.

You go on a public forum begging for feedback, attempt to stipulate exactly who can and cannot reply to you, and then bash anyone that has an opinion that differs from you and refer to them as trolls. Personally, I have tried to watch the videos and agree that the machines look great, but I can't stand the bickering and bad-mouthing, and would I never buy a machine from you based solely on that principal. I've got years of marketing and sales experience that tells me that you don't isolate potential customers by loudly bad-mouthing anyone you don't disagree with. As a moderator here, I'm supposed to uphold the community rules which include no personal attacks, so a ban warning has been sent. Please continue to interact, but in a constructive manner.

#35 10 years ago

Can anyone truly be anything on the internet? It's all perception and how one interprets something.

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

I've got years of marketing and sales experience that tells me that you don't isolate potential customers by loudly bad-mouthing anyone you don't disagree with. As a moderator here, I'm supposed to uphold the community rules which include no personal attacks, so a ban warning has been sent.

Here's a cookie for your years of experience. Kudos to you for having the guts to identify yourself as the "ban warning sent" sender. Thanks for that. Reported you back to whatever authorities are running this circus. All of this should do well for your political career. Not as a personal attack but rather just as personal opinion, I'd rather be called a "troll" than a "politician." Bye for now. Friday night! Better things to do than this.

#37 10 years ago

Here's a cookie for your years of experience. Kudos to you for having the guts to identify yourself as the "ban warning sent" sender. Thanks for that. Reported you back to whatever authorities are running this circus. All of this should do well for your political career. Not as a personal attack but rather just as personal opinion, I'd rather be called a "troll" than a "politician." Bye for now. Friday night! Better things to do than this.

By all means, get to it.

#38 10 years ago

cant wait to buy a game from this guy!

#39 10 years ago

Wish I didn't ignore this lunitic so I could see what he is spouting off now.

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from dantebean:

Wish I didn't ignore this lunitic so I could see what he is spouting off now.

Moderator - do your job?

#41 10 years ago

Ok ok ok....OK. No really....it's all OKEE DOKEE! But for reals....I have stated my support and love for team GRC on various threads throughout the last 2 years...and I've never felt the need to retract those feelings and have never been slighted in the least by there PINBALL-loving assess. Yes to some ULTRA EXTRA SENSITIVE people there comments on here may seem over the top as well as there pinball prices but but for reals PINSIDE peeps....get a sense of humor and common sense of understanding that just because a pinball retailer/enthusiast/restorers seem a bit out of whack realize they work on pinball machines all day to sell to you picky mother truckers....so they are a bit loco to be in this business!!

I own 3 of there machines and a 4th one was brought back to life because of them. Even when issues (simple issues) arose I was able to contact them and get the necessary info to correct the problem. Some of the machines they didn't even sell me. Mike has generously giving me pinball related things without me even asking....and offered extra services free of charge. I consider him a good guy along with the rest of the team. They are lucky to have Ray who is soft spoken guy with eons of knowledge in the business that I can't even comprehend....plus he likes smoothies

I am always eyeing up a couple of there machines and if money was no object in my world I'd support them again and again.

This is not a paid endorsement and I have no fight in their or your battles on here. I just appreciate there work and free spirit attitudes that pinball is...well....pinball.

Thanks team GRC!
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage-909.jpgimage-909.jpg

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballerchef:

This is not a paid endorsement

Check is in the mail Chefsean!

Danni073111 013.jpgDanni073111 013.jpg

#43 10 years ago

It took the guy 2 weeks to get the recommendations. He probably messaged the customers "say something nice about us, our attitude is being brought up again because we have a big mouth." They might have good tech service but the way they run the business, the hillbilly act they display in the videos, and constant trolling here , I would never buy from them. I like spending my money knowing its going to decent human beings.

#44 10 years ago

If the Chick in the photo can repair machines as well as Ray (besides Cooking and Cleaning) she has a full time job offer in Bucks County from yours truly.

#46 10 years ago

I guess the thread wouldn't have been complete without a little bit of sexism to go with the machismo.

#48 10 years ago

Quoted for posterity.

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballerchef:

Ok ok ok....OK. No really....it's all OKEE DOKEE! But for reals....I have stated my support and love for team GRC on various threads throughout the last 2 years...and I've never felt the need to retract those feelings and have never been slighted in the least by there PINBALL-loving assess. Yes to some ULTRA EXTRA SENSITIVE people there comments on here may seem over the top as well as there pinball prices but but for reals PINSIDE peeps....get a sense of humor and common sense of understanding that just because a pinball retailer/enthusiast/restorers seem a bit out of whack realize they work on pinball machines all day to sell to you picky mother truckers....so they are a bit loco to be in this business!!
    I own 3 of there machines and a 4th one was brought back to life because of them. Even when issues (simple issues) arose I was able to contact them and get the necessary info to correct the problem. Some of the machines they didn't even sell me. Mike has generously giving me pinball related things without me even asking....and offered extra services free of charge. I consider him a good guy along with the rest of the team. They are lucky to have Ray who is soft spoken guy with eons of knowledge in the business that I can't even comprehend....plus he likes smoothies
    I am always eyeing up a couple of there machines and if money was no object in my world I'd support them again and again.
    This is not a paid endorsement and I have no fight in their or your battles on here. I just appreciate there work and free spirit attitudes that pinball is...well....pinball.
    Thanks team GRC!

image.jpg 20 KB

image-909.jpg 202 KB

I'm sorry but this is really bugging me just for the amount of times it was misused. One uses 'their' as a pronoun, not 'there'. THEIR!!

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from Wahchintonka:

I'm sorry but this is really bugging me just for the amount of times it was misused. One uses 'their' as a pronoun, not there. THEIR!!

They're you go! Thanks!!!

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-info-on-buying-from-grc-gameroom-collectibles-wide-area-repair and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.