Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Homepin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

So my long opto beam for mist (switch 82) is not working again. Previously, it was the L1 inductor on the 24 switch opto board. I replaced that and it worked great for a month or so. The L1 inductor is still on the board, so it's not that. (previous thread if interested: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-opto-assembly)

Here's the list of current symptoms:

--In switch edges test, a hand across the beam does not register.
--Using a digital camera, I can see that the transmitter led is on.
--Using a tv remote control pointed at the receiver does NOT register.
--Suspecting it was a bad receiver, I replaced it. Still does not work.
--In a move of desperation, I reflowed all solder points on the board. Still nothing.

That's about the limit of my skill set. I've searched the forums far and wide, so far no one seems to have my same dilemma. I own a multimeter, but have little idea how to use it. I'm about to break down and order the redesigned one from homepin.com. Before I go spending another $100 on this BSD, I thought I'd reach out to pinside....help!

Thanks,
Spray

#2 11 years ago

Thats fustrating. Maybe change the 12v Bridge rectifier. top left on main driver board. It supplies the power to optos. Mine was bad and now no issues.

#3 11 years ago

I had the same problems. Replace the optos, tested etc. Decided on using this below and I have not had any problems.

http://www.homepin.com/bsd.html

#4 11 years ago

Yeah, think I'm just gonna break down and buy the new board.

#5 11 years ago

That board MUST to be good, Aussie made!!

Before rushing out and buying anything, the connectors are crap on BSD, I would re-make the connections on the female plug, pull the wire out and move along ½ inch. With my machine after you unplug and replug a few time the sleeves in the female sections stop making contact with the male pin. In test mode and no ball in place try wiggling the plug see what happens, you don’t want to buy something and still not work. Apart from L1 the 24opto board is fairly bullet proof.

#6 11 years ago

My intuition agrees with you chrisbee. I tried testing the switch while wriggling the connecttion, no dice. I'll do your suggestion of remaking the connections on the female plug next.

3 weeks later
#7 11 years ago

The BSD 24" long opto board that I make is a complete redesign. It operates on a totally different principle to the original.

The original transmits & receives a radio frequency while my board uses audio. This means I can use different chips that are readily available. The original chip is unobtainium anywhere and the coil (choke) is also a critical component that can be tricky to find.

To date over 150 of these replacement boards are being used all over the world with fantastic reliability being reported.

Certainly start by reflowing the connectors and then check that the thin wires from the choke are not broken. Even if one is broken off close to the body you can sometimes dig away the coating and solder to the remaining stub.

Failing that there is little that you can do. The optos give very little trouble - it is generally the I.C. that fails on the board.

#8 11 years ago

Hey homepin, I actually purchased your board a few weeks ago, and it completely solved the problem! Your board rocks!

#9 11 years ago

Thanks for your purchase Spraynard. I'm very pleased it sorted out your issues.

#10 11 years ago

After numerous, strange mist / opto problems, I used the home pin board. My mist ball problems are over. Bulletproof!

#11 11 years ago

How much is the board?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 84.99
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-bsd-mist-help-thread and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.