(Topic ID: 64959)

ANNOUNCE: Jungle Lord - new tricks (home rom)

By idealjoker

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by idealjoker
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

eprom.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 L-0 release announcement Posted by idealjoker (10 years ago)

Post #32 FAQ Posted by idealjoker (5 years ago)

Post #35 Important tip Posted by idealjoker (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

#1 10 years ago

Jungle Lord — new tricks
Home ROM by A.M. Thurnherr
[implemented with Jess Askey’s PinBuilder software/documentation]

Jungle Lord new tricks (JLnt) is a set of Home ROMs for the 1980 Williams Jungle Lord pinball machine. In addition to all original game rules, with minor sound and scoring tweaks, the following new tricks have been implemented (*operator adjustable feature):

Skill Shots:

Quickly locking a new ball in the lower or upper saucer awards 100k or Instant Multiball*, except during Stampede Mode.

Extra Ball:

Complete 1-2-3-4-5-sequence three times* to light Extra Ball in lower lock; progress is indicated by bonus lamps during completion and at each ball start.

MB Bonus Frenzy:

Each bonus advance during multiball sounds trumpet and instantly scores 20k*.

Combo Shots:

Quick 2-/3-way combos ([left inlane,] turnaround, lower lock) ring bell and score 100/250k, respectively, except during multiball.

Magna Whirl:

Whirl L-O-R-D letters with Magna-Save buttons to improve odds with the mini ball.

These new tricks are intended to add fun and to encourage lower playfield play and risk taking. Scoring potential of the new Combo Shots and MB Bonus Frenzy are similar to those of Double Trouble and maxed out bonus in the original game.

The attached zip file contains the new ROM images as well as a manual, both of which are also available for download from

- links removed -

Enjoy!

- Andreas

Post edited by robin : Sorry, I have received a takedown notice from the copyright holder. Apparently custom software roms like this are a violation of copyright and that means you can't link to them from Pinside.com.

#2 10 years ago

Neat, thanks for something new to try.

Parker

#3 10 years ago

J Lord - back on the map

#4 10 years ago

This is very cool! I never expected JL to get any rules improvements. Is there anyone out there with a rom burner who would be willing to burn a set for me? I would be happy to pay for your time and expense.

#5 10 years ago

For ROM images, please search for "Jungle Lord new tricks" on rgparchive-removed.com or arcade-museum.com. I have never used a ROM burning service, but http://www.hobbyroms.com/pinball.html looks promising.

#6 10 years ago

Neat

I have received a takedown notice from the copyright holder.

Thank goodness IP law is here to protect us all from evil modified roms for a game from 1981

#7 10 years ago

BOOM NOODLE

LORD lane change! AWESOME!

now if I knew where i misplaced my burner... Kneissl?

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from GListOverflow:

Neat

Thank goodness IP law is here to protect us all from evil modified roms for a game from 1981

they are all over the internet by now.. if not PM happy to stick it to the man and share.

#9 10 years ago

OOOPS...Too late.. I already downloaded it.Besides,I think the copyright laws only apply if you were trying to sell them.Since as far as I know no one has made any attempt to sell them at all whoever has whatever silly ass beef about the copyright nonsense can go screw themselves.Not that I am a lawyer or anything...I think it's great that someone took the time to update the game program a little to make it a little more fun.

#10 10 years ago

Major props to all who take the time to improve these old machines.

#11 10 years ago

Thanks for the kind words. It was a heck of a lot of work but very enjoyable and satisfying. I am not sure what the copyright issues are. There's a bunch of home ROMS for similar vintage Williams games on ipdb.org, and you can find them on other sites, too, so I feel reasonably safe. I guess I'll find out.

#12 10 years ago

Alright!! Someone modifying system 7 roms. Any chance that you can make one little tiny modification to the Defender Pinball rom?

This game has no background sound. The sounds exist in the sound rom, but they (Williams) deleted the little bit of code that allows you to turn them on. I believe they were running out of room on the chips and since they weren't going to use the background sound (which matches the video game) it got the ax.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from jukehero1:

OOOPS...Too late.. I already downloaded it.Besides,I think the copyright laws only apply if you were trying to sell them.Since as far as I know no one has made any attempt to sell them at all whoever has whatever silly ass beef about the copyright nonsense can go screw themselves.Not that I am a lawyer or anything...I think it's great that someone took the time to update the game program a little to make it a little more fun.

lf l had to guess, it's that (insert explicit here) that rides a kangaroo.
You should be fine if it's a free rom-No purchase. We can modify our machines, we own them.

#14 10 years ago

Good work on the software.

Several JL owners installed it tonight and all gave it thumbs up!

Thanks!

#15 10 years ago

Thank you for this.

I have JL in the resto queue and these roms will definitely get installed.

#16 10 years ago

okay, that clinches it... if another red jungle lord comes up for sale locally at a cheap price, I'm going to go get it lol. There have been three for sale in the last year or two here.

#17 10 years ago

l just picked up a red jungle lord from a pinsider. No backglass, but l bought a blue version glass and it looks great. l love the red cabinet/upper playfield in yellow.
l'm tempted by these roms, but l think i'm feelin the new 2 in one combo mpu/driver for reliabilty (plus my game is missing the mpu anyways)
:/

3 weeks later
#18 10 years ago

finally getting around to this..!!

1 month later
#19 10 years ago

awesome ruleset modification. perfect execution. congrats all around..

#20 10 years ago

Awesome!!!! Love seeing fresh software for old games

#21 10 years ago

This is super cool. I've been wanting a red JL for so long. SOMEBODY SELL ME A NICE ONE!

Any possibility of some new rule love on Pharaoh?

1 month later
#22 10 years ago
Quoted from idealjoker:

Home ROM by A.M. Thurnherr

Just a friendly Thank You shout out to Andreas for producing this ROM. The new tricks are awesome. We appreciate your efforts.

Quoted from idealjoker:

I have never used a ROM burning service, but http://www.hobbyroms.com/pinball.html looks promising.

I had hobbyroms burn the two EPROMs for me. Stephen is in Canada and total cost shipped was $15. I simply emailed him the zip file and I got the chips in a week.

eprom.jpgeprom.jpg
8 months later
#23 9 years ago

sorry to bump this but does anyone have a set of these new modded roms I can purchase?

or if someone has a burner and is willing to burn me a set I would appreciate it and be happy to buy

#24 9 years ago

bump still looking for anyone that can send me some of these roms. paypal is ready

#26 9 years ago

thanks I looked there but dont see JL listed for sale?

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from rollinover:

thanks I looked there but dont see JL listed for sale?

Just email, he already has it.

Even if he did not, you can send any code you want burned by email.

#28 9 years ago

very cool thanks I will do that!

10 months later
#29 8 years ago

Did anyone ever add appropriate music/background sounds (animals) to this pin?? Such a shame they didn't enhance the Jungle theme with birds, monkeys, etc and jungle drums!!

-Nate

3 years later
#30 5 years ago

I just burned and installed these ROMs last night. Makes an already fun ruleset even better!

If you own a jungle Lord this is a must have software update!

I wish there was a way to modify the sound ROMs to implement more jungle sounds!

Thanks @athurnherr

1 month later
#31 5 years ago
Quoted from Moto_bone:

I wish there was a way to modify the sound ROMs to implement more jungle sounds!
Thanks athurnherr

You are welcome!

As far as the sounds go, Jess Askey (http://gamearchive.askey.org/General/Collectors/Jess_Askey/) made a Home ROM for JL that modifies the sounds but leaves the game rules alone. (FYI, Jess is the guy who reverse engineered the Williams System 7 operating system, which allowed me to analyze and modify the game. Also, I share any PayPal donations for the Home ROM with Jess.)

#32 5 years ago

Since I released the software I have been contacted by a few pinheads with some questions and concerns. Here are some common issues:

1. The Home ROM does not pass the diagnostic test.

This is because my ROMs do not contain a correct checksum. I don't have any current plans for fixing this problem.

2. The Home ROM does not work.

I have received two reports that the Home ROM does not work in a particular machine. One of the two games has an after-market MPU. I do not understand this problem and, therefore, I don't have a solution, unfortunately. I would try to verify the ROM image to make sure that there is no problem with the chips (now there's where a correct checksum would be useful...). Another thing to try is to remove the batteries and unplug the game overnight to make sure that the NVRAM gets emptied.

3. The mini-playfield (bagatelle) lights do not work as before.

I use some of the mini-playfield lights as game flags for some of the new features. For example, one of the lights is lit when the skill-/combo-shot timer is running. The easiest way to deal with this issue is to remove all the bagatelle bulbs and install a LED strip instead (https://cointaker.com/products/bonus-strip), connected to the single bulb that flashes like in the original game. You can connect additional lights to the other sockets to indicate that the skill and combo shots are active, for example.

4. The timer for the skill- and combo shots is too short.

Very true. With the released version, these two shots are too difficult. I have therefore made an updated version (L1), which uses a longer timer and also has a "party mode". (When enabled, every game starts with the locks lit.) For the moment, I have not made the L1 version publicly available, but I am happy to get it to you if you PM me. Please note that I do not always have a lot of time for pinball, so patience is appreciated.

5. The home ROM is for the wrong System 7 game.

Every so often I am toying with the idea of having a go at another System 7 game. Pharao has been mentioned a couple of times in one of the fora, and so has Cosmic Gunfight. If you are *really* interested in this option, the best thing you can do is to make sure that I get to buy a copy of the game cheaply and then sit tight and hope for the best

6 months later
#34 4 years ago

You asked

I have been looking for a suitable game to modify next pretty much every day, without any luck. I'll keep looking of course. In the mean time, I have been working on my tools. For compiling the JLnt code, I used a 1980s DOS shareware assembler modified by Jess Askey, the guy who reverse engineered the System 7 operating system (blue flipper roms). The tool is clunky and does not run in a UNIX shell, so I decided to write my own, the way I like it. But before I can even begin modifying another game I need a disassembly tool, which is what I have working on. The neat thing about building my own is that I can add automatic code analysis to determine, for example, which memory locations, game flags, and sounds are unused. For JLnt I had to compile all this information by hand, which was a pain.

Another thing that was a huge pain was to deal with the constant EPROM burn cycle. Sure, I always keep at least 3 sets, so I never have to wait for the erase to finish, but every time I want to change ROMs I have to open the back box. So I started designing a ROM emulator using a Raspberry Pi computer. Should I ever actually complete this project, I will be able to edit, compile and install game code via Wifi, so I will be able to hack my games sitting comfortably in a chair with my laptop.

So, unfortunately, no concrete progress on any new game code. But lots of prep work to get into it once I locate a suitable game.

#35 4 years ago

IMPORTANT HOME ROM TIP: It is very important that the playfield entry switch works reliably. If the switch does not work, you don't get the skill shot, and I think without the skill shot the combo shots don't work either, but I am not sure. The switch scores 10 points, so it is easy to check.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from idealjoker:

You asked
I have been looking for a suitable game to modify next pretty much every day, without any luck. I'll keep looking of course. In the mean time, I have been working on my tools. For compiling the JLnt code, I used a 1980s DOS shareware assembler modified by Jess Askey, the guy who reverse engineered the System 7 operating system (blue flipper roms). The tool is clunky and does not run in a UNIX shell, so I decided to write my own, the way I like it. But before I can even begin modifying another game I need a disassembly tool, which is what I have working on. The neat thing about building my own is that I can add automatic code analysis to determine, for example, which memory locations, game flags, and sounds are unused. For JLnt I had to compile all this information by hand, which was a pain.
Another thing that was a huge pain was to deal with the constant EPROM burn cycle. Sure, I always keep at least 3 sets, so I never have to wait for the erase to finish, but every time I want to change ROMs I have to open the back box. So I started designing a ROM emulator using a Raspberry Pi computer. Should I ever actually complete this project, I will be able to edit, compile and install game code via Wifi, so I will be able to hack my games sitting comfortably in a chair with my laptop.
So, unfortunately, no concrete progress on any new game code. But lots of prep work to get into it once I locate a suitable game.

I was able to use a ROM emulator for the "Golden Tee" game people...
I believe it was called "ROM-IT" from Incredible Technologies.
The down side... you had to have the CPU out of the game or mount the ROM box
into the back box next to the CPU in order to use the chip socket.
---
I can't wait to see what you come up with!
Thanks for keeping us "outsider Pinsiders" informed.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from idealjoker:

Another thing that was a huge pain was to deal with the constant EPROM burn cycle.

I have an EPROM emulator that simply plugs into the rom socket and holds the file in buffer. You make changes and upload on the fly. I used it for years tuning Turbo Dodges with a laptop. Once I would be satisfied with the code I'd burn to a chip and send it off.

https://secure.transtronics.com/EPROM%20Emulator.html

#38 4 years ago

Thanks for the pointers!

Quoted from vec-tor:

"ROM-IT" from Incredible Technologies.

I have no seen this one, or found any information on-line, but I had seen the following one

when I was looking around for a solution to my problem. It looks like a great device.

However, I enjoy tinkering and I have worked with RPIs before, so I have most of the software in place. The "only" thing to do is to design the hardware. There's an awesome tutorial on how to build an EPROM emulator based on a 6116 RAM chip at https://learn.adafruit.com/digital-circuits-6-eprom-emulator and this is great, because i) 6116 RAM chips are pin compatible with 2716 EPROMS and ii) there are cheap-ish pin-compatible NVRAM chips available.

1 year later
#39 3 years ago

I have just noticed that "Jungle Lord new tricks" is a Featured Snippet on google search. Just type in the four words in the search bar and you'll see what I mean. I think that's pretty neat

1 year later
#40 1 year ago

Yep, Im late to this thread but super big thanks to idealjoker for posting this and fixing my buggy version to the next level. I have had a TON of 'other' projects keeping this whole Level 7 pinbuilder project (Pinbuilder was my name at the time for writing software for the Level 7 games because it isn't just normal CPU code, the Level 7 software actually runs virtual threads due to the genius of Larry Demar and allows the game to do so many great effects). Im about to get back to my Spellbinder project next (which is the unreleased sequel to Hyperball, I have the playfield and a backglass). So, if folks are interested in improving the older games, perhaps we can make a new thread for that.

Also, I did spend quite a bit of time encoding various other jungle animals onto the Speech board and extending the main CPU sound commands to use them. But they are in disarray. If someone wants to dig into that deeper, Im happy to help them out as well. I think it DOES require another address line to the sound PCB but it allows the game to have 32 sounds instead of 16 I think as it sits factory.

Defender may not have had the ROM space to allow for the background sounds, but you are correct.. *something* in the background would make that game substantially more fun!

2 weeks later
#41 1 year ago
Quoted from mhavoc:

level 7 pinbuilder project

Without your pinbuilder software, game archive and other help there is no way I would ever have been able to create my home ROMs. I am now doing mostly system 11 and using different tools, but JLnt was my start.

Quoted from mhavoc:

Im about to get back to my Spellbinder project next

Great! I'd love to follow a thread about this project.

Quoted from mhavoc:

Also, I did spend quite a bit of time encoding various other jungle animals onto the Speech board

I don't think anybody else has done this. It would be great if you could share how this is done at some stage.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Langhorne, PA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announce-jungle-lord-new-tricks-home-rom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.