• Latest reply 10 years ago by mjannusch
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

opto.png
#1 10 years ago

I just got a Twilight Zone, and I'm having some occasional problems with ALL of the optos going out simultaneously (well... not the clock). During a game, everything will be working properly one minute and all of the optos will go out the next. This causes a lot of crazy things to happen, since the game all of a sudden thinks there are 3 balls locked, 1 in the VUK, 1 in the automatic shooter lane, and balls in the orbits and on the powerfield.

If I enter switch test while the game is malfunctioning, all of the opto switches are off. I've included a picture of the switch grid in working and non-working states. What's especially interesting is that as quickly as it breaks, it fixes itself and the switch grid returns to normal. I've tried wiggling connectors, banging on the machine, and pounding the flippers to fix the problem, but it typically just starts working again with no trigger while I'm not even touching the machine.

I reseated all relevant connectors in the backbox and on the opto board under the playfield. I measured 12V on the opto board during a failure, and the voltage looked good. I've not yet used a camera to see if the LEDs are transmitting, although I know that might be a good next step.

Does anyone have any guesses as to what my problem could be, how to fix it, or how to further diagnose it?

Thanks,
Tom

opto.pngopto.png

#2 10 years ago

Well, There are laws of physics present here. Which part of the chain do all those optos have in common? Start there.

#3 10 years ago

My guess is that you have cracked solder joints on the male pins either in the backbox or under the PF (or both). Vibrations are causing the issues. Check the pins, resolder as/if needed.

#4 10 years ago

Also check the IDC connections on the under PF opto board. The ground or power can be loose causing this.

Parker

#5 10 years ago

I really don't think this is a mechanical vibration issue. The optos have recently gone out and come back on a couple minutes later while the machine has been sitting untouched. Additionally, banging on the flippers, shaking the machine, and wiggling all of the connectors has no influence on the optos when they are working or not working.

I've intended to follow maddog14's advice, as obvious as it is, but I haven't quite had the time to research it.

#6 10 years ago

Hey mot,

Check your manual on page 3-16. It may be the opto board. Check to make sure the 12 volts from the power driver board is working consistently. The inputs and outputs are the molex connectors, does not sound like its that based on it being intermittent all at the same time but worth a close look I think the ground to the optos are daisy chained so maybe the feed is intermittent. It sounds more like a power or grounding problem somewhere to that opto board, or the board itself is failing. Hopefully that helps a little. Good luck.

#7 10 years ago

I had a similar problem with one I had from a while back. The clock was always working fine, but the optos for the magnets, ramps, and upper pf would go out randomly. I could just sit there in test mode without touching a thing and the optos would start acting up. It turned out to be cracked solder joints on the opto board under the pf. The board was also filthy, so I took it out, cleaned it up, re-flowed solder and it worked fine ever since.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from LilRocky:

It turned out to be cracked solder joints on the opto board under the pf.

I looked at that board very closely, and all of the connectors looked nicely soldered. i also wiggled the connectors extensively, but that didn't make them change state (from working or non-working).

Thanks for the advise. I'll take another look at this board.

#9 10 years ago

Does that board look completely clean or does it have any burnt spots? Also, how do the caps look, are any bulging or look abnormal? If you know anyone close to you who has a TZ, I would try switching that opto board first and see if the problem persists. That way you can at least start to narrow down where the issue is stemming from.

I see you also have a RS. I know RS and TZ are in that same superpin family (or whatever it's called), but does RS have one of those under pf opto boards?

#10 10 years ago

I'll have to pull the board and take a close look. I don't know anyone else with a Twilight Zone, so I don't think I'll be able to try swapping. At the moment, the problem is intermittent enough that it's still a minor problem.

Road Show doesn't have the board or nearly as many optos (if any), but that is a good guess.

Thanks for all the insight!

#11 10 years ago

Good luck finding a replacement board if that turns out to be your issue. That opto board was used only in TZ. I actually ordered parts yesterday to build my own, because they are not in stock anywhere online (and they are around $90 to boot).

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from mot:

I looked at that board very closely, and all of the connectors looked nicely soldered. i also wiggled the connectors extensively, but that didn't make them change state (from working or non-working).
Thanks for the advise. I'll take another look at this board.

Visual inspection won't always cut it. There could be a broken trace, corrosion, etc...

I would reflow them and see what happens. Odds are it will fix it, and it will not hurt anything to do so

#13 10 years ago

Great! Thank you for the tips, everyone!

2 months later
#14 10 years ago

This problem has been ongoing, but this week I discovered that new and improve replacements of the A-16807 opto board are available for around $80. I was thinking about ordering one, but figured I'd try to decisively conclude that the opto board was the problem first. The manual has a lot of info on the board, but not much of it is common to all 10 optos.

After snooping around, reflowing solder, measuring voltages, etc., I think my 12 V might be the problem. My machine is modded with color changing LED strips behind the door on the translight. The LED strips are powered via 12 V on the coin door interface board.

TP1 on the power driver board measured 13.7 V with the LED strips connected and 14.4 with them unplugged. I unplugged the LEDs and had my machine on for at least an hour and didn't see the optos act up.

Edit: discovered that the problem still occurred with the LED strips disconnected

#15 10 years ago

I pulled my opto board and investigated very closely. The capacitor on that board (C1, 100 uF) clearly leaked and caused some corrosion. Some of the traces in that area looked suspect. I followed and tested a bunch of traces with a multimeter and found one from the capacitor to pin J5-2 (12 V from power driver board) that did not look good or test good. I installed a short jumper, reinstalled the board in the machine, and it has worked perfectly for several days.

I need to get a replacement 100 uF capacitor, of course. Until then, though, it seems that I have identified the cause of my problems.

3 weeks later
#16 10 years ago

Pretty sure I've fixed my problems. The 100 uF capacitor at C1 of the opto board leaked, caused some corrosion, and damaged some traces. I think damaged traces were more of a problem than the capacitor itself, but I replaced the cap and repaired the board, and I think I'm back in business.

It seems that 100 uF capacitors from 90s machines are starting to fail more and more now that they're 20+ years old.

See also: C2 on the power driver board of WPC games.

#17 10 years ago

Thanks for the update Mot. I might have to get under there and check my caps for preventative maintenance.

#18 10 years ago

I almost used the term "preventative maintenance" in the last post. The corrosion from the leaked electrolyte doesn't cover a big area, but it is damaging.

I'm not going to do it personally, but preventative replacement of C2 on the power driver board also doesn't sound like a bad idea.

1 week later
#19 10 years ago

FYI, Great Lakes Modular makes replacement opto boards, including the one in TZ:

http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/products/pinball/osb10b.html

Found them while checking out some of their other parts. $80.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.95
9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,059.00
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 12.95
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/all-twilight-zone-optos-go-out-intermittently and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.