• Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

LED5.JPG
#1 11 years ago

Hello all,
I just got my DH back in my house from my brothers and none of the flashers are working.
I did a search and most threads seemed to be involving LEDs and that isn't the case here.
I checked the J107 seating and it didn't change anything...fuses "seem" to be fine by pulling them out and replacing with new ones, but flashers no worky.

We had major reset issues with this machine and after replacing all the BR & caps and it fixed it...I believe that was the power board...but now this. There is a small cap on the driver board and just wondering if that's a normal culprit...or any other help you can give.

Thanks!

#2 11 years ago

Bump. Need to stop posting questions at midnight

#3 11 years ago

Need to get a meter out and check 20 volt test point on power driver board. That will help on where to go next.

LTG

#4 11 years ago

Flasher circuit is very small, bridge (or 4 diodes), fuse, resistor and IIRC a cap. Also the circuit runs through the high power interlock switch on the door.

I had a champion pub with no working flashers but the Led for that circuit was lit on the power driver board and I had voltage at the bulbs, but the flashers still didn't light after replacing all of the above components and then I jumpered over the coin door switch and they worked. The switch could handle the voltage when there was no current but when there was current the circuit opened up in the switch.

the switch in question is the white one with 6 lugs on it. one set of wires is for the 50V circuit and the other set is for the flasher 12V circuit.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Need to get a meter out and check 20 volt test point on power driver board. That will help on where to go next.
LTG

Ok thanks guys...here's what i found. The 20V TP I tested reads a .484...I don't know what the heck that means. The 12V TP tests 11.99, and 5V tests 5.06 so I would guess I'm on the correct setting.

I can fix anything mechanical under the hood but I'm just learning the electronic aspect so thank you for your patience.

Should I be able to jam the testers in a ground + flasher bulb socket? Would that tell me if there is juice going to the sockets? Silly I know.

#6 11 years ago

Another "post made at midnight" bump.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

The 20V TP I tested reads a .484.

That is a problem.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

That is a problem.

Yeah, even I felt that had to be way off.

#9 11 years ago

My Fluke multi-meter will give readings like that when there is a blown fuse or open circuit somewhere. I'll bet it's nothing major just maybe the coin door switch or I know you checked but really seriously use the diode function of your MM to test the fuse.

#10 11 years ago

Yep I pulled out & tested some fuses with the MM and got continuity. I'm not sure exactly what fuse it would be, but I checked the fuses around the J107 plug which is the flasher molex I believe. I also turned the machine on and tested the solder points of the fuse holders. They all seemed to be fine.
I got sidetracked half way through so I don't think I tested all 5 of the fuses next to each other on the driver board.

#11 11 years ago

Check the fuses and also the fuse clips to make sure they are working properly and not loose. Then check the board for loose or broken components. Also, make sure to look at that switch on the door again.

Flashers are always a PITA for some reason.

1 week later
#12 11 years ago

OK so got some more testing done. Pins 5&6 of J107 should have high power coming through them but they don't...also still getting shotty results at TP7, so this all makes sense.
Brother helped me figure out that there should be an LED #5 lit up if working correctly. I found this hidden LED that isn't lit or labeled, so I'm ASSuming that's LED #5.
This leads to the fact that there's prob an issue on either Cap C11, or BR4. C11 looks new and we prob replaced it before, but BR4 looks old I'm that seems like the place to be testing.
So this weekend I'm going to take off the board and check the continuity between C11 & BR4. Hopefully...that is what i should be doing

LED5.JPGLED5.JPG

#13 11 years ago

OK so I tested the Continuity Betwixed the negative on BR4 with Negative on C11 & also the overall negative to the board....and no beepy. BR5 and cap 11 both have beep with overall ground.
I am getting betwixed 400-600 reading on both BR4&5 negatives & positives testing them in diode mode with with their respective AC legs. So I guess that means BR4 is the bad guy in this.

#14 11 years ago

You lost the through-holes on C11 when it was changed. Jumper between BR4 "-" and the negative side of C11.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
314-766-4587

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

Jumper between BR4 "-" and the negative side of C11.

You think that's better than just swapping out the BR which I can go get? I might I have to do it again anyway?
Thanks for the help.

#16 11 years ago

The bridge isn't bad, and not the problem. Why would you replace it?

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
314-766-4587

#17 11 years ago

Gotcha, thanks Borygard.

#18 11 years ago

OK thanks to everyone that helped out here!

So to recap everything.
No flashers worked, no continuity betwixed negative on BR4 with Negative on C11 nor negative to the board ground, even though I was getting a 400-600 (good) reading on both BR4 negatives & positives testing them in diode mode with with their AC legs.
Borygard told me to jumper Negative from BR4 to negative of C11.
Jumpered it and it works 100%.

Hope this helps others out. Thanks guys!

5 months later
#19 11 years ago

Well well this issue came up again on my W?D and the same jump fixed it again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Machine - For Sale
Clovis, NM
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/all-flashers-not-working-on-dh-not-led and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.