Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by nutshell79
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2144.JPG
    IMG_2141.JPG
    IMG_2140.JPG
    IMG_2139.JPG
    IMG_2138.JPG
    IMG_2137.JPG
    IMG_2136.JPG
    IMG_2135.JPG
    IMG_2134.JPG
    IMG_2131.JPG
    IMG_2130.JPG
    IMG_2129.JPG
    IMG_2126.JPG
    IMG_2125.JPG
    SA.jpg
    IMG_2120.JPG
    #1 12 years ago

Just put another PF in the rotisserie,this time a afm PF swap . This AFM is one of the nicest routed games I have ever seen. It has an almost perfect no fade cabinet .

Going to put Mirco PF in this game and let you guys watch along the way .

I found all sorts of little problems while tearing it apart. Fist off ,someone installed a ball guide upside down in the pop bumper area. LOL

Second , lots of loose hardware and terrible pop bumpers.

Third , a sol protector that was hiding a repair . You can see in the pictures the upside down guide before and they way it is supposed to go . Also the SOL repair .

Time to rebuild this unit into a work of art, that will not only look great but play even better!

Jim

IMG_2072.JPGIMG_2072.JPG IMG_2077.JPGIMG_2077.JPG IMG_2087.JPGIMG_2087.JPG IMG_2090.JPGIMG_2090.JPG IMG_2071.JPGIMG_2071.JPG IMG_2108.JPGIMG_2108.JPG

#2 12 years ago

Some more pictures , I keep all my parts separated ,LOL

Jim IMG_2104.JPGIMG_2104.JPG IMG_2113.JPGIMG_2113.JPG

#3 12 years ago

Looks awesome so far! I can't wait to see what you can do with that AFM.

#4 12 years ago

that miscellaneous box of posts/screws/bolts/washers/etc is going to give me nightmares tonight...haha

good luck on your swap

#5 12 years ago
    Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

that miscellaneous box of posts/screws/bolts/washers/etc is going to give me nightmares

You know what is sick ? I know where all the parts go !!!

Jim

#6 12 years ago

You are the wizard, working in true wizard mode!

#7 12 years ago

Hi Jim,
    Cool-another AFM,you're earning some beer money again ,that---AFM Black---HEP posted about last night was sick-loved the look of that machine.
    I enjoy keeping an eye on your projects,we can kinda live through you and dream about doing a machine justice like you do to them.
    Have you started to do any work for docscott yet?

I like how that game is signed/marked-as to when the shop jobs were done.
    I sign and date my machines as well, with a sharpie,it goes like this;

When I have the apron off for whatever reason;I write----I was here-KD,then I sign and date it on the left side of the playfield,under the apron,where it cannot be seen,unless the apron was removed.
    I do it just to be goofy and in case something weird ever happened with the machine-then there are identifying marks there,if there was some kind of discrepancy or investigation.And mostly to let all future owners know that I was there,and now they can try to get this sharpie marker off Strange,maybe-you decide
    Later,Kirk in Colorado

#8 12 years ago

Making progress on the AFM swap. The wire harness is clean and all assemblies are 100% torn down and rebuilt . I found lots of rookie sharpie marks on this game and that means more work for me

You can see I get more organized as I go .

Jim

IMG_2114.JPGIMG_2114.JPG IMG_2116.JPGIMG_2116.JPG IMG_2118.JPGIMG_2118.JPG IMG_2120.JPGIMG_2120.JPG

#9 12 years ago

Ouch.....On the rookie sharpie comment I think I am finally past that and will go off of memory from now on-So can I put a round connector into a ..........................

#10 12 years ago

jim this may be a stupid question but, if you soak those wires and one of the wires have a knick in it , will the water leach causing problems?

and can I wash my circuit boards with bleach white ?

also , amazing job , would love to have the cash for one of your jobs ...

frick'n awesome

TJ

#11 12 years ago

I use the tub as pre rinse then final rinse it with my sprayer. Not sure if it could cause and issue but I highly doubt it .

I wash my board with a degreaser that is not a harsh as Bleche wite.

The Sharpie comment is for this pinball machine as the original owner drew on everything . I will show you more sharpie next session ..LOL

Jim

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from v8torino:

Hi Jim,
    Cool-another AFM,you're earning some beer money again ,that---AFM Black---HEP posted about last night was sick-loved the look of that machine.
    I enjoy keeping an eye on your projects,we can kinda live through you and dream about doing a machine justice like you do to them.
    Have you started to do any work for docscott yet?

I'm up next after this pf swap, then, I believe, I have a couple projects in a row. An AFM, a MM, a CC, then the second AFM I just bought. He might sneak in some other projects along the way... not to speak for Jim.

#13 12 years ago

Jim, all your work is just incredibly impressive. Thanks for posting pics for us to follow.

#14 12 years ago

I often mark connectors with Sharpies so I can remember what goes where? Is this frowned upon?

#15 12 years ago

Keep up the good work.
    May FSM watch over you to insure a beautiful AFM when done.... jk

I really love this game and glad to see anyone improve the beat up ones out there.

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I often mark connectors with Sharpies so I can remember what goes where? Is this frowned upon?

Not really, although you will not find marked connectors on any of my games . This game just has a lot of graffiti on it and they used permanent marker so it does not wash off with my regular cleaner .

Jim

#17 12 years ago

You should have put this on the stopwatch Jim

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

You should have put this on the stopwatch Jim

That was just for fun with the TAF. TAF is a much harder PF swap than AFM by a mile. The real time is spent on cleaning and rebuilding .

Jim

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

It is frowned upon There is no reason to mark, label, or stick anything on connectors when shopping out a game. Majority of the connectors are keyed or pinned to only go back one way anyway in a given area. If something is similar in a certain area, that's what the manual is for. Also, all those different colored wires are not for decoration. There is continuity in between the connectors given the colors on the wires.

#20 12 years ago

Personally, I use scrubbing bubbles on PCBs.

Apply, brush with a paintbrush, rinse with hot water, rinse with 91% alcohol, dry with an air compressor and leave them in the sun for an afternoon.

Works great!

I remove all socketed chips first.

#21 12 years ago

Cool, keep it coming, I am about to do my AFM

#22 12 years ago

Bah, Sharpie on the connectors is nothing a little nail polish remover can't take care of!

#23 12 years ago

Whats wrong with the pop bumpers?

#24 12 years ago

that miscellaneous box of posts/screws/bolts/washers/etc is going to give me nightmares tonight...haha

+1...
    Great work as always Honda.
    One day I hope to become your apprentice.

...And not in the crappy Nick Cage film sense either.

SA.jpgSA.jpg
    Nick:
    "I have no standards..."

#25 12 years ago
    Quoted from Corny:

Whats wrong with the pop bumpers?

Lots, loose bodies ,broken metal tabs and horrible light sockets that had been very poorly repaired at one time ..

Quoted from NimblePin:

Great work as always Honda.
    One day I hope to become your apprentice.

Come on up !

Jim

1 week later
    #26 12 years ago

Almost finished with the AFM PF swap. I have been working on the cabinet ,I needed to clean the hole the pf sits in .

This is a very nice original cabinet with zero fade,not perfect but too nice for new decals IMO. It will be getting chrome side rails and lock down bar, and a shaker !

Should be done in the next day or so. Here are a few pictures. Check out the graffiti on the floor, it had no chance against the Festool!

Jim

IMG_2125.JPGIMG_2125.JPG IMG_2126.JPGIMG_2126.JPG IMG_2129.JPGIMG_2129.JPG IMG_2130.JPGIMG_2130.JPG IMG_2131.JPGIMG_2131.JPG IMG_2134.JPGIMG_2134.JPG

#27 12 years ago

More pictures.

IMG_2135.JPGIMG_2135.JPG IMG_2136.JPGIMG_2136.JPG

#28 12 years ago

wow, looks like it just rolled off the factory floor. looking forward to the finished product

#29 12 years ago

Sweetness.

#30 12 years ago

i use sharpie but to avoid any graffitti i always use the sharpie on tape then remove the tape...

#31 12 years ago
    Quoted from jespo_19:

i use sharpie but to avoid any graffitti i always use the sharpie on tape then remove the tape...

Good thinking ! This AFM has been cleansed of all graffiti !

Jim

#32 12 years ago

Dann Frank - The House Of Pinball Not for sale, but it was sold! Ha!

I wish I worked as fast as you do, Jim

#33 12 years ago

First - AWESOME work here - congrats honda. It's always inspiring to see pics from these high end restoration jobs.

Quoted from v8torino:

Ouch.....On the rookie sharpie comment

...I know I'm guilty.

Quoted from gweempose:

Quoted from turbo20lbs:

It is frowned upon There is no reason to mark, label, or stick anything on connectors when shopping out a game.

I'm almost to the point where I feel confident enough not to mark the connectors....though as stated, I should have marked 'em on removable tape. Lession learned.

#34 12 years ago

Which playfield run is this from? Looks like the "keystone" detail is there. Did you have to have it re-cleared?

I don't mark the connectors anymore. Not to hard to figure out what goes w/ what.

#35 12 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

I wish I worked as fast as you do, Jim

Jim isn't that fast (his neighbor that helps is the fast one )

Truthfully, Jim works almost as fast as he talks!

Randy

#36 12 years ago

Great job as usual Jim, keep up the good work! A lot of great practices for anyone doing a restore. I need to get one of the nice orbital sanders you have Do you use the same one on the inside of the cabinet as you do on the outside when preparing decals?

Todd

#37 12 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Which playfield run is this from? Looks like the "keystone" detail is there. Did you have to have it re-cleared?

The latest run and the keystone is now there! No re clear. These new AFM have some of the best dimples ever ! The dimples are large enough to start the screws and does not pull up the clear .

Quoted from WNflyer:

Jim isn't that fast (his neighbor that helps is the fast one )

All true !

Quoted from Tlamb:

Great job as usual Jim, keep up the good work! A lot of great practices for anyone doing a restore. I need to get one of the nice orbital sanders you have Do you use the same one on the inside of the cabinet as you do on the outside when preparing decals?

Thanks Tlamb. I use both of my sanders the ro 90 and the ro 125 .

Jim

#38 12 years ago

Hey Jim, I was just wondering, what do you do with the old playfields?

#39 12 years ago
    Quoted from WNflyer:

Um, no. Nothing, not even the speed of light, can match how fast Jim talks-

Star Trek should consider using a Warp McCune as a measurement of speed.

Seriously, once again awesome job. Your shop outs/playfield swaps are what some other people would call a restore.

#40 12 years ago

Seriously, once again awesome job. Your shop outs/playfield swaps are what some other people would call a restore.

Thanks JimJim66 !!

I put the PF in the cabinet tonight ,just about ready to fire up . I have another AFM in the shop that will be torn down by the weekend ( I hope ) .

I put them side by side so you can see the difference between a old worn out PF and a new reproduction .

This cabinet is just stunning for a 16 year old routed game with original art work.

Jim

IMG_2137.JPGIMG_2137.JPG IMG_2138.JPGIMG_2138.JPG IMG_2139.JPGIMG_2139.JPG IMG_2140.JPGIMG_2140.JPG

#41 12 years ago

I love these threads.

I always want to give my lamp boards a bath but I'm too nervous. I just use QTips and alcohol. Takes forever.

#42 12 years ago

One more evening on this and it is out of here. Fired it up tonight with very few adjustments!

Jim

IMG_2141.JPGIMG_2141.JPG IMG_2144.JPGIMG_2144.JPG

#43 12 years ago

Took you long enough....

#44 12 years ago

Wowow. Awesome. Although my shoddy one besides the refurb looks pretty sad. I'm sure you'll make it look great. Can't believe you're doing two AFMs for me.... Believe it or not I'm looking forward to having them sitting side by side in my man cave and comparing the chromed out vs. the black... Then I'll have to decide which to keep.... no doubt will be a difficult decision.

Great work, as always.

#45 12 years ago

Doc that there is the sh1t dreams are made of.

side by side AFM's

I would keep both =-) I love the game that much.

Just playing I have seen the black chrome version and must say it is beautiful.

#46 12 years ago

These threads are always amazing, but it somewhat just made me sick to my stomach thinking of how big of a project I have in front of me with the RCT I am currently stripping.

I have LOTS to learn. I really wish there was a "restore a pinball camp" where you could show up with an old routed game, a new playfield, new parts (at least the game specific ones that I know need replacing), and a weeks worth of enthusiasm. How cool would that be?!?

thanks for sharing.

#47 12 years ago

Great work as usual Jim! Love seeing your games nice and clean

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-pf-tear-down-31312-pf-swap-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.