AC/DC Is Phenomenal

Started 1 year ago by jalpert in forum All PinballAll Pinball.

Forum » All Pinball » Topic

AC/DC Is Phenomenal

Topic summary

• Started 1 year ago by jalpert
  • 84 Pinsiders participating in this thread.
  • Latest reply from RobT

Tilts/ ignores / abuse

Sharing and favs

Games linked to topic

Help us build a pinball game knowledge base by linking topics to the games discussed in them!

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

My AC/DC premium has been the most fun I've had playing pinball ever. The speed, the strategy, the toys, not to mention the art and lights and sound. This game is really the whole package.

I can't wait to see where they go with it, but it's been fun as hell waiting!

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

Have to agree!!

1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    jalpert said:

My AC/DC premium has been the most fun I've had playing pinball ever. The speed, the strategy, the toys, not to mention the art and lights and sound. This game is really the whole package.
    I can't wait to see where they go with it, but it's been fun as hell waiting!

Loving mine, too. I try to start multiballs right after my second bell shot, so I can start 2x and keep it going through the multiball. I have not yet achieved a super on anything and my top score is only 50 mil, but I'm still getting my shots dialed in. I'm really impressed with how the game makes the LEDs fade in and out nice and smooth. I was worried since I don't have them in any other games and have heard they flicker on older games.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

I haven't touched any other of my pins since it arrived two weeks ago. I'm having an absolute BLAST playing it! FAST and a challenge developing a scoring strategy. Glad you guys are enjoying yours, as well.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

Mike, good to hear you like it. Wait til they update/finish the software!

Jon

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

I have the premium. I'm in my first week and very happy. I really like the choice of songs. I also like the way it shows you the key shots of the song/mode by dimming the GI and lighting the mode specific targets when choosing the song. As soon as you shoot the ball, the playfiled lights up as normal. I really like the variety of gadgets and sounds. Bell, Train, TNT, Band, Cannon, lower PF. It has a family mode option and can seperate volume on voice and songs.

Currently, the cannon only scores when shooting one target bank. I'm hoping that opens up in later modes or new software code.

I had a white LED roll down my pf from near the pop bumbers and I have no idea where it came from. So far, I have not regretted it at all. It's a very nice game.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    Nevus said:

I have the premium. I'm in my first week and very happy. I really like the choice of songs. I also like the way it shows you the key shots of the song/mode by dimming the GI and lighting the mode specific targets when choosing the song. As soon as you shoot the ball, the playfiled lights up as normal. I really like the variety of gadgets and sounds. Bell, Train, TNT, Band, Cannon, lower PF. It has a family mode option and can seperate volume on voice and songs.
    Currently, the cannon only scores when shooting one target bank. I'm hoping that opens up in later modes or new software code.
    I had a white LED roll down my pf from near the pop bumbers and I have no idea where it came from. So far, I have not regretted it at all. It's a very nice game.

The one bulb that keeps coming out (not an LED) is behind the right most lightning bolt . Right behind the crossover ramp. Played 50 games so far its popped out 4 times.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

Do you have to like AC/DC to like the machine? I don't mind their music, but I wouldn't call myself a fan. Theme isn't a total killer for me, but I want to hear from non-ac/dc fans that have put time in the machine? I've only played it once.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

I'm not a fan of the band. But I play that more than all my other games combined, and I have some pretty good games in my man cave. Not only that, but when the uninitiated come in to brave the pinball hobby, inevitably they're drawn toward, and spend most of their time on ACDC. Every single one. Black AFM, BSM, CV, MB and all the top ones go lonely while ACDC gets all the play. Rate it how you want, but inarguably it is the most popular pin ever. I've never seen anything like the attraction of this game. I'm not pushing it, I'm stating facts. Anyone that doesn't feel it is arguably the most popular pin ever hasn't seen people lining up to play. Realize some of the pinball newbies I play with don't recognize it is a new release. It's just the one they like, of my whole lineup.

RobT

Pinside legend
    12,287,023 3
    1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    BriGuy5 said:

Do you have to like AC/DC to like the machine? I don't mind their music, but I wouldn't call myself a fan. Theme isn't a total killer for me, but I want to hear from non-ac/dc fans that have put time in the machine? I've only played it once.

I'm a big AC/DC fan so I'm coming at it from that angle, but I think if you don't like their music it's definitely going to make it harder to enjoy the pin. The music in this pin seems to play a larger role in the game than the majority of music based pins. The music is playing pretty much constantly.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    docscott said:

inarguably it is the most popular pin ever.

Bold statement.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

I'm not a fan but wanted one just as soon as I played it. I do like some of their songs. I do not own any of their music. My ac dc should be here this week.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    coasterguy said:

I'm not a fan but wanted one just as soon as I played it. I do like some of their songs. I do not own any of their music. My ac dc should be here this week.

And leave the next?

1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    GoBlue said:

Bold statement.

I stand by the statement. Put a bunch of people in a room with the top rated pins of all time and which will get more play time and enthusiasm? ACDC. When I had my pinball party, I had people from all across the country. We had MM, MB, AFM, BSM, CV, SS standing unused while people stood in line to play ACDC. The game can be criticized for shortcomings, but in terms of playability and fun, I think it stands above the rest. Hey, I don't like that. Why do my more expensive machines stand lonely while ACDC gets attention? Because everyone doesn't know what is supposed to be more fun. They just gravitate toward it, the newbies and the old salts alike. I have had four or five pinball parties with the same outcome each time.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

I've yet to spend much time on Premium/LE, what kind of dynamic do the drop targets add?

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

Thanks Doc..... Now I'm more bummed mine did not arrive yet!

1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    docscott said:

I stand by the statement. Put a bunch of people in a room with the top rated pins of all time and which will get more play time and enthusiasm? ACDC. When I had my pinball party, I had people from all across the country. We had MM, MB, AFM, BSM, CV, SS standing unused while people stood in line to play ACDC. The game can be criticized for shortcomings, but in terms of playability and fun, I think it stands above the rest. Hey, I don't like that. Why do my more expensive machines stand lonely while ACDC gets attention? Because everyone doesn't know what is supposed to be more fun. They just gravitate toward it, the newbies and the old salts alike. I have had four or five pinball parties with the same outcome each time.

Probably because of the new and improved sound and lights. When LCD pins come out they will probably the most popular.

I don't think it is possible that ACDC can be the most popular pin because arcades and pins aren't popular as they once were. I remember growing up and having to wait in line to play games such as FH, T2 and TAF. ACDC doesn't come close in popularity to what those pins were.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    HighProtein said:

I've yet to spend much time on Premium/LE, what kind of dynamic do the drop targets add?

A totally different and better game than the pro, though I've been told the premium is a hair slower.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    GoBlue said:

Probably because of the new and improved sound and lights. When LCD pins come out they will probably the most popular.
    I don't think it is possible that ACDC can be the most popular pin because arcades and pins aren't popular as they once were. I remember growing up and having to wait in line to play games such as FH, T2 and TAF. ACDC doesn't come close in popularity to what those pins were.

I agree. I'm comparing to the popularity now, not the high years way back when. Even those who don't like pins I've seen get turned on by that pin. I can't stop raving. Look, I have over fifteen k in my AFM refurb, ten k in my MB, MM, CC, but people don't care. They just like the ACDC. I like the oldies because of what they represent. I like the ACDC because, imho, it lives up to what pins are supposed to be... you don't have to explain it is rare, or it is an he restore. It just plain, forgive the pun.... rocks!

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

I played honda350r's and I was blown away. I'm not a fan of AC/DC's music but at some point down the road I will be adding a Premium or BIB to my collection. I was driving home searching the web looking for a NIB the whole time.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

I second the appearance factor. It's the brightest most colorful pin I have seen. I am enjoying gameplay but get annoyed at the cannon drains. Not near enough time to make any further judgements.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    proscript said:

I am enjoying gameplay but get annoyed at the cannon drains.

+1 Also, I wish the song didn't restart after each drain...

1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    docscott said:

but inarguably it is the most popular pin ever.

That's a very bold statement. The definition of 'inarguably' means it cannot be argued. By using the word 'ever', you mean, well, ever.

22,000 Addams Family's pins would like to challenge that statement.

Gary Stern would crap if he sold 22,000 of one model of pin.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

And the premiums are still for sale? Is stern going to announce when they are done making them? And what do they go for anyway NIB?

I think it's pretty cool to have such an awesome game with an unlimited run (if that's true). It gives everyone an opportunity to buy one after they play it, and it isn't missing any features from a limited run, just cosmetically different. This is the sales model Stern should be using and will hopefully realize that soon.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

AC/DC is a pretty cool game but the cannon obstructing the view of the right inlane frustrates me far too much. Can't control what you can't see and that's unfair. Someone should try to make a transparent cannon mod.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    OTTOgd said:

AC/DC is a pretty cool game but the cannon obstructing the view of the right inlane frustrates me far too much. Can't control what you can't see and that's unfair. Someone should try to make a transparent cannon mod.

Good luck with that. You just have to give the machine a good bump when it heads that way. I've been able to bounce the ball out about 80% of the time. It's a really addictive pin and it's fun to try the different ways to select songs In order to maximize your score.

As tithe person who stated that the drops were only used for the cannon. The bell shot becomes the super on certain modes. I've only got it a couple times but it's a very satisfying shot when you nail it. Not as easy as it looks either.

Definitly will be a great game once the code is finished.

RobT

Pinside legend
    12,287,023 3
    1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    docscott said:

Rate it how you want, but inarguably it is the most popular pin ever. I've never seen anything like the attraction of this game. I'm not pushing it, I'm stating facts. Anyone that doesn't feel it is arguably the most popular pin ever hasn't seen people lining up to play.

You are stating that it is a FACT that it is the most popular pin ever? Really? Kind of early to make that kind of statement (of fact no less) don't you think?

I think it's a really great and fun pin, but I wouldn't dream of making that kind of statement.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    RobT said:

You are stating that it is a FACT that it is the most popular pin ever? Really? Kind of early to make that kind of statement (of fact no less) don't you think?
    I think it's a really great and fun pin, but I wouldn't dream of making that kind of statement.

Well, I guess I can't say inarguably. What I am saying is that, in my experience with many top rated pins standing side by side, dozens have chosen that as their favorite game of all in the room. Many pinballers with far more experience than I have declared it, in my presence, the best pin they've ever played.

that doesn't mean it'll sell the same as AF did in the hey day. they doesn't mean that there aren't flaws, or that some people might prefer others, or that the state of pinball technology won't evolve to bring on new, fun things, but it does mean that i have never seen a pinball receive such a warm reception, even from those who didn't know it was a recent release.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

I've played at least 30 games today already.. I'm not a huge AC/DC fan but do like most of their music for sure. I was very hesitant in buying it due to music theme's not being my favorite, but I am glad I didn't listen to myself this time. I have a premium and it's not leaving!

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

AC/DC has a very powerful initial impact because of the driving music and accompanying SFX. It gets people excited the way a good concert does and it's infectious. If AC/DC is on in a room it demands attention partly due to playing constantly loud rock music. I think this is all distracting from the guts of the game which is nothing special from the handful of LE games I've played. It's a fun game that looks and sounds great but the real test is how long the novelty lasts.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    smokedog said:

That's a very bold statement. The definition of 'inarguably' means it cannot be argued. By using the word 'ever', you mean, well, ever.
    22,000 Addams Family's pins would like to challenge that statement.
    Gary Stern would crap if he sold 22,000 of one model of pin.

Lightning in a bottle!

NM

Pinball master
    1,939,550 2
    1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    docscott said:

ctozzi said:

I played honda350r's and I was blown away.

Wow; can't wait for my Premium/LE to arrive!

1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    docscott said:

Well, I guess I can't say inarguably. What I am saying is that, in my experience with many top rated pins standing side by side, dozens have chosen that as their favorite game of all in the room. Many pinballers with far more experience than I have declared it, in my presence, the best pin they've ever played.
    that doesn't mean it'll sell the same as AF did in the hey day. they doesn't mean that there aren't flaws, or that some people might prefer others, or that the state of pinball technology won't evolve to bring on new, fun things, but it does mean that i have never seen a pinball receive such a warm reception, even from those who didn't know it was a recent release.

New people to pinball or non pinheads can relate to ACDC or any other newer stern for the simple fact that most can associate with the theme easier then say MM, MB, AFM etc. etc. they can walk up to a Shrek or Family Guy or SM and recognize the license.

Probably why ACDC was more popular then all the classic A-listers you had available them. I'm sure if you had a 24 pin all new n shinny next to a MM quite a few newbies would drop some quarters in it before MM.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

I have had the pro and the premium. Almost nothing else got played when they showed up. they are the king of 1 more game. if I was on a deserted island in could only have 1 game. acdc. it doesn't get boring. Kids love it too.

Praise coming from doc means a lot considering his lineup and the party he had.

Lyman do your magic on this. It will be your legacy

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

I was at Docs',NOT a newbie to pins,....had the most FUN on AC/DC (so I bought one)

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

I agree the premium is really fantastic. I'm also not much of an acdc fan although I don't hate them. But I love the pin so far and am glad I own it. Played the pro today and there's just no comparison.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

Love my Bible! But i find it very hard to say what pin is "the best ever!".
    Today it's AFM, but tomorrow it could be MM, but next week my mind is set on Tron. It really depends on your mindset that day which pin is the best ever i think. I just really have a lot of love for many pins!

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

I agree its a great pin. I don't agree that the music is the only thing that makes it any good. When you're on fire and start hitting combos it's very satisfying, and all the features arent coded in yet so If the code gets finished this will be a top 10 game imo. I also don't think the cannon gets in the way of the outlane. When you nudge a machine it has to be done in anticipation of where you think the ball will go, as a matter of fact if it wasn't for the left outlane I wouldn't drain that much from the outlanes. The left outlane is brutal because of the cannon.

I would also love to see them code hitting the tnt targets with the cannon and I would love for them to add dirty deeds and big balls into the game, dirty deeds is my favorite acdc song and its a shame its not in the game.

I originally hated the animated band but now its grown on me and I look forward to it going off now. I also think the swinging bell shot is one of the coolest features in pinball, its crazy when you hit it how fast it will come back at you.

I do think if you're not a fan of the band it will take quite a bit more play before you fall in love with the game. It's also very hard so get used to draining from the cannon and practice the hell out of nudging because it's needed for success. One of the settings I changed was turned insults to high and had it give an extra ball at the replay score. Its factory otherwise.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    Kcpinballfan said:

It's also very hard so get used to draining from the cannon

Last i heard from a friend who talked to Lymann, he said a ballsave will be added in the near future. Lymann was not for it, but because a lot of people asked for one, he will be putting one in it.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    GoBlue said:

It certainly has a lot to do with it. So if you don't like the music, I cant say I would reccommend it. I can't say I was ever a hardcore ACDC fan, but I'm not a Trekkie either and love my STTNG. People that dislilke Star Trek, usually dont like the pin. Those that like Star Trek or those that are neutral, usually like it.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

It has lived up to the hype and will only get better as they further implement all the features. I love my premium the more and more I play it. Even some of my friends who are "casual" players and rarely get too into my games when they come over have been playing AC/DC like crazy. Very glad I got this one!

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

Steve Ritchie was disappointed about Dirty Deeds not being in the game as well. He said they requested a dozen songs from the band including Dirty Deeds but was not made available to Stern. Steve said that Dirty Deeds was his favorite as well, but was offered War Machine instead.
    All in all, it is an amazing pin! But it's a shame they couldn't get Dirty Deeds.... Or Shot Down in Flames

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

I have a GnR next to my premium and can honestly say even though I like the GnR, it played slower than hell compared to AC/DC. Another thing about AC/DC is being able to change the songs, where GnR you here welcome to the jungle way too much. I just wish they would have added dirty deeds and shoot to thrill on AC/DC. It is still an awesome game though.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

Big Balls would have been an EXCELLENT and funny as heck wizard mode! Maybe a captive ball that was triple the size or something.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    playpin35 said:

I have a GnR next to my premium and can honestly say even though I like the GnR

Me too. And as much as I love GnR, AC/DC smokes it.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

Songs will always be a debate. I agree on shoot to thrill and dirty deeds for sure. With only a little more computer you could have those as an attract mode. Still, a really nice step forward on the incorporation of music into a pinball machine.

RobT

Pinside legend
    12,287,023 3
    1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    smassa said:

New people to pinball or non pinheads can relate to ACDC or any other newer stern for the simple fact that most can associate with the theme easier then say MM, MB, AFM etc. etc. they can walk up to a Shrek or Family Guy or SM and recognize the license.
    Probably why ACDC was more popular then all the classic A-listers you had available them. I'm sure if you had a 24 pin all new n shinny next to a MM quite a few newbies would drop some quarters in it before MM.

Completely agree.

In terms of theme/license, AC/DC is a home run. Stern knew this. That's why they offered two LE models, a Premium model, and the pro. They knew they'd sell.

Theme is important. But it has to play great in addition to having a great theme. AC/DC does both.

I love the fact that AC/DC seems to have reached a good balance of speed and challenge, without being frustratingly difficult either. It still reminds me of IM more than any other pin in terms of how it plays (and that is definitely a compliment). Not saying IM and AC/DC are the same, just that the speed and difficulty are similar.

If I wasn't as excited about the potential for XM, I'd probably have a Premium AC/DC by now.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    RobT said:

Completely agree.
    In terms of theme/license, AC/DC is a home run. Stern knew this. That's why they offered two LE models, a Premium model, and the pro. They knew they'd sell.
    Theme is important. But it has to play great in addition to having a great theme. AC/DC does both.
    I love the fact that AC/DC seems to have reached a good balance of speed and challenge, without being frustratingly difficult either. It still reminds me of IM more than any other pin in terms of how it plays (and that is definitely a compliment). Not saying IM and AC/DC are the same, just that the speed and difficulty are similar.
    If I wasn't as excited about the potential for XM, I'd probably have a Premium AC/DC by now.

Well, hate to be confrontational, but acdc got the most attention above the A listers, and above Stern recent releases like Black SM, POTC, BDK, and TFLE.

I can't tell you why it gets attention. One guy, who hadn't played pinball in decades commented on liking the old classics like my ACDC machine.

The machine isn't dated by a movie, like BDK and BSM and POTC.

Challenge; Put a bunch of pins in a room, send some folks in who don't know which one they should like, and see which one they enjoy the most. If you have a ACDC LE, I bet that machine will get more attention than any other single machine by the majority of the participants.

RobT

Pinside legend
    12,287,023 3
    1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    docscott said:

Well, hate to be confrontational, but acdc got the most attention above the A listers, and above Stern recent releases like Black SM, POTC, BDK, and TFLE.
    I can't tell you why it gets attention. One guy, who hadn't played pinball in decades commented on liking the old classics like my ACDC machine.
    The machine isn't dated by a movie, like BDK and BSM and POTC.
    Challenge; Put a bunch of pins in a room, send some folks in who don't know which one they should like, and see which one they enjoy the most. If you have a ACDC LE, I bet that machine will get more attention than any other single machine by the majority of the participants.

I have no idea why you think you are being "confrontational"?

I don't even see that you wrote anything that disagrees with what I said?

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

Actually not your comment, but the one previously, that 24 would have drawn attention over the A listers because it was newer. I think the ACDC rocks in the old and new, and those that don't know what era it is from.

Hey, Robt, what's up with Kwiki?

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or sign in if you already have one.

© 2001-2014 Pinside.com All rights reserved. Jump to topRSS feedsHelpContactCookiesDesigned by Keeple