About to purchase 1st machine, which one would you pick?

Started 4 years ago by alfadogmusic in forum MarketBuying advice.

Forum » Market » Buying advice » Topic

About to purchase 1st machine, which one would you pick?

Topic summary

• Started 4 years ago by alfadogmusic
  • 10 Pinsiders participating in this thread.
  • Latest reply from Letter_K

Tilts/ ignores / abuse

Sharing and favs

Games linked to topic

Help us build a pinball game knowledge base by linking topics to the games discussed in them!

4 years, 3 months ago
    #

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase my first machine from a local collector. He's offered me pretty fair pricing on 4 machines that he's cycling out of his collection. Out of the following, which would you choose? Thanks!

1. Roller Games
    2. F-14 Tomcat
    3. Taxi
    4. Police Force

4 years, 3 months ago
    #

Well the only thing i could suggest is to play them all. We can't decide what's good for you

I personaly hate Taxi, and i own a Tom Cat... witch is fast.... faster... fastest.
    Rollergames i never understood and Police Force (witch i have never played) looks nice.

4 years, 3 months ago
    #

I'd check Craigslist everyday,
    perhaps something real good will turn up?

4 years, 3 months ago
    #

What are the prices exactly ??

4 years, 3 months ago
    #

Of those four, I'd say Taxi first, F-14 second.

4 years, 3 months ago
    #

I check Craigslist and Ebay everyday, but so far have found individuals over-pricing what they have, or dealers marking machines up twice the price of what they are selling for in the pinball classifieds. Here are the prices he offered me:

1. Roller Games - $700
    2. F-14 Tomcat - $850
    3. Taxi (Marilyn version)- $700 (Has a wear spot on the play-field)
    4. Police Force - $800

I'm in Pennsylvania, and am looking somewhere in the PA, DE, or NJ areas; something within a reasonable traveling distance to pick up.

My take on the above from what I can watch on YouTube and read on IPD is as follows; but never having played any of these, was looking for input from people who have experience playing or from owners of the machines:

Roller Games: Cheezey theme and music, but game play actually looks pretty good. Looks like an underated pin due to its theme.

F-14 Tomcat: Sparse playfield, nice and fast looking machine, just worried if there's enough to keep interest for a while.

Taxi: Despite the good ratings the machine gets, it seems rather dull to me.

Police Force: Have read, "This machine gets the living snot beat out of it and certain parts are very likely to break", which worries me somewhat, as I don't want a machine that constantly needs fixing.

With all that being said, I'm leaning towards either F-14 Tomcat or Roller Games; unless something else comes along. Thanks for the input, it is appreciated.

4 years, 3 months ago
    #

The prices seem reasonable if they are fully working and shopped. It's a really tough question we see all the time and the hardest one to answer. It's kinda like asking us if you should marry a redhead, blonde, or brunette

Welcome to the forum and post some pictures when you decide and purchase. We'll be here for any other help you need in keeping whatever maintained.

4 years, 3 months ago
    #

I wish I would have kept my TAXI

4 years, 3 months ago
    #

Hihi.. the price in dollars are twice as high as the price in euro's

4 years, 3 months ago
    #

In a perfect world Id say consider saving your money and getting something more modern and a little better.Lots of great games at 1000-1500 that wont get old as quickly but that is just my opinion,otherwise I would go with Taxi.There is always a good deal on ebay if your looking.

4 years, 3 months ago
    #

Of those 4 machines, personally I would go with Taxi. F-14 is just one of the most boring machines ever imo. The best advice was said above, play them and see which one you like. Good luck and let us know what you choose!

4 years, 3 months ago
    #

I own a F-14 and its great, I can't comment on the others since I haven't played them. F-14 seems to be one of fastest pins out there, get the playfield cleaned / waxed and your in for one crazy ride with the 4 ball multiball. I think the best comment I heard about this machine is "Steve Richie must of been mad that day he created F-14 Tom Cat" (it can be tough), the machine looks very cool (a unique design), and really comes alive when the 3 beacon lights come on.

Here's a video I created of mine, since then I added a new Pin Score display (still need to rebuild the flippers).

» YouTube video

4 years, 3 months ago
    #

that F-14s not fast,
    it's super fast!
    some people would even say too-fast

4 years, 3 months ago
    #

I personally love Taxi. It's got some kind of magic that is probably tied into picking up Pinbot just so he'll shut up.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or sign in if you already have one.

© 2001-2014 Pinside.com All rights reserved. Jump to topRSS feedsHelpContactCookiesDesigned by Keeple