Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Coz
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you think this would be a cool theme”

• Yes - with a heap of cool stunt ramps - the next WH20 29 votes
      50%
    • Yes - more with a street layout with a couple of ramps 3 votes
      5%
    • No - not my sort of game 10 votes
      17%
    • No - not for the big boys, only kids 16 votes
      28%

(58 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B94A4CEC-8EC9-4815-8BF2-8BC176A5F968 (resized).jpeg
    63D0ED89-B7C5-404D-8008-CB44BDA98A62 (resized).jpeg
    screen-capture-1.png
    #1 11 years ago

Sorry to lure people in as this isn't a actual pinball but reckon it should be - I have been thinking for a while that Hot Wheels would be a cool pin to do using orange transparent vacuum formed ramps and orange wire forms, insert lots of car graphics with various drive sports, street racing with blended in stunt ramp racing.

I saw this video this arvo and thought that a cool tube wire form could be worked into the game sitting back centre like this along with some others.

Another feature could be the classic car motor design installed in the game to speed the ball up to do the ultimate wall ride ramp, the more rotations around a loop sped up by the motor allows you to achieve the most challenging ramp

what features would you have in the game as maybe someone might read this and decide to do the challenge.....

#2 11 years ago

Cool theme possibility but please, please, please, no more plastic ramps. We don't need more games with fragile ramps that end up unobtanium.

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from ChadTower:

please, please, please, no more plastic ramps

If ramps are done right (no hard impacts, good quality and thick material), there's nothing wrong with plastic ramps. Problem is we look at ramps of the late 80's and early 90's and see broken ones. If you look at the original thickness of the space shuttle and ramp from a 1984 williams space shuttle, you wonder how they ever thought that would last. The reproductions are like 3 times as thick, and I doubt they will ever damage (especially in a home use envoirnment).

Vacuum forming plastic ramps are relatively easy compared to wireform (both in creating and mass producing). Wireform also has to be either plated (nickel can be harmful), or powder coated.. And if they get nicked in either case, they will rust and have to be re-finished.

#4 11 years ago

That's all true. Pinball machines are not manufactured for the home environment, though, and very few collectors buy NIB games. Most of us get our games heavily used off route at best. We're not getting pins that have 500 plays on them and as much as some folks here want to think that's how the pinball industry works it isn't so.

Plastic is a "living material". Yeah, thicker is a little better, but it's still going to vent and change over time. Nothing anyone can do will change that.

Plating will chip, metal will rust, but those ramps will very rarely break. You can sandblast and replace or powdercoat them. The key here is that even worn out they are still physically intact and reusable.

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from ChadTower:

Yeah, thicker is a little better...

Thicker isn't always better. The red plastic used on the Taxi spinout ramp and Ripley's right and middle ramps does not age well. Connecting points often crack or break completely eventually. They also change shape (warp) quicker than clear plastic ramps. The red does show wear less than clear though. Neither is perfect. Steel will always be harder than plastic.

Although it's likely too expensive now, I'd like to see another game with a boatload of stainless ramps, like T3.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from ChadTower:

Plating will chip, metal will rust, but those ramps will very rarely break. You can sandblast and replace or powdercoat them. The key here is that even worn out they are still physically intact and reusable.

+1 And they can be rewelded if they do break. Can't do that with plastic.

Back on topic, this theme could be good if done right with more of a focus on a modern muscle car theme. Artwork could look good IMO with the cabinet sides looking like NASCAR but with Hot Wheels logo but do the backglass and playfield like Corvette. They might have to get individual licenses from car makers though and that would get expensive.
    Would ultimately depend on the layout and rule set though.

#7 11 years ago

+1 for Hot Wheels! Could be very cool for sure.

#8 11 years ago

cool, now imagine if the ball could go into a loop like that.

#9 11 years ago

Gold Wings has one of those loops. Its version is a royal PITA to get it and keep it shaped correctly to get the ball to make it all the way thru it mainly because it is 3 pieces. If they make it one piece it would be better IMO.

#10 11 years ago

If Stern makes it, I'm sure they'll be orange PLASTIC ramps for sure.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from beatmaster:

cool, now imagine if the ball could go into a loop like that.

I reckon they could with a wire form ramp, or possible add a getaway motor to speed the ball up like the motors for hot wheels cars.

maybe the rules could something like you have to hit certain targets to build up your car ready for stunt racing (ramps) with most ramps being accessible and then once achieved the comp starts, possible a few different country flags (could be stern's best pinball market places around the world) to achieve tour comp completion with the wizard mode being the world title with possibly a ramp changing ????

could have the corkscrew ramp like this video

or the wall ride like this

but this could be a interactive ramp where it sits at the very back of the playfield and the wall section of the wireform extends higher and higher every time you complete it - where the vertical section of the wire form including the 180 turn extends right up to the glass.

#12 11 years ago

Yeah, a magnet to push would be cool. Also have the ball go around the apron like in BF.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Back on topic, this theme could be good if done right with more of a focus on a modern muscle car theme.

The Fast and the Furious?

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from ChadTower:

The Fast and the Furious?

I could totally see Steve Ritchie designing this! Stick shift plunger, Nitrous Multiball, and have a mini-playfield similar to Corvette.

1 week later
    #16 11 years ago

maybe the backbox could be interactive and have a Hot Wheels wall rider style game feature but with a ball as a mini wizard and wizard mode like the attachment. I have never seen (in the flesh) or played a game like this but I think there was a pin I think with a motor bike theme with a backbox game feature.

screen-capture-1.pngscreen-capture-1.png

#17 11 years ago

Excellent idea for a theme! Has to have lots of ramps of course that are fast! and they can make them good out of plastic or the colored wire style. Lots of 60's - 70's muscle cars with huge engines sticking out of the hoods! This pin would appeal to a bunch of people , what a great idea!

#18 11 years ago

Great idea, wish I still had mine, especially the Mongoose and Snake set!

#19 11 years ago

Yeah would be a good game but to make this right would cost $$ and innovation sooo....

#20 11 years ago

Yes and with some kind of super charger!!!

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from scooter:

Yes and with some kind of super charger!!!

two rotating wheels where the ball runs through to run to get the speed for the loop ramp.

Quoted from welder74:

Excellent idea for a theme! Has to have lots of ramps of course that are fast! and they can make them good out of plastic or the colored wire style. Lots of 60's - 70's muscle cars with huge engines sticking out of the hoods! This pin would appeal to a bunch of people , what a great idea!

yeah - all ramps either see through orange plastic or all orange wire forms, as well as a jump ramp

6 years later
    #22 4 years ago

Is American Pinball making a Hot Wheels pinball machine?

#23 4 years ago

Sure sounds that way!! Distros are leaking the title name around town and now it’s hit the public.

#24 4 years ago

Big K seems to think so.

#25 4 years ago

Would be awesome if this thread from 8+ years ago ends up being the Club Forum!

#26 4 years ago

Not my cup o' tea but I see it being a viable theme. Lots you could do with it in the way of ramps, modes, supercharging etc.

#27 4 years ago

Im not a car guy but this could be great fun! Gotta have some fun racing video modes with a magna save but set up for the gas and brakes.

#28 4 years ago

It could be a very cool theme, would love to play it
    but.... highly doubt i would buy one to put in my basement

#29 4 years ago

Any car related theme is welcome. Certainly no lack of toys to put on and
    around the PF. A nifty new feature would be to allow the player to
    choose which car is featured and used in the game (assuming ramps).
    Or maybe make car selection a special mode?

One disadvantage of this title is it'd be a licensed theme.
    Steve

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from zarco:

Any car related theme is welcome. Certainly no lack of toys to put on and
    around the PF. A nifty new feature would be to allow the player to
    choose which car is featured and used in the game (assuming ramps).
    Or maybe make car selection a special mode?
    One disadvantage of this title is it'd be a licensed theme.
    Steve

Maybe you collect cars?

#31 4 years ago

Will be interesting to see.

#32 4 years ago

Hot wheels has the potential to be a very interesting theme

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from zarco:

Any car related theme is welcome.

I'm trying to remember the last car-related theme that was a hit.

Getaway?

I can think of plenty that flopped...NASCAR, INdy 500, Mustang...

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from zarco:

Any car related theme is welcome.

Really? Stern Mustang has good gameplay but was widely panned on theme alone when released in 2014.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm trying to remember the last car-related theme that was a hit.
    Getaway?
    I can think of plenty that flopped...NASCAR, INdy 500, Mustang...

Yeah but what was the last TOY-car related theme that was a hit? Similar to - what was the last beer festival related theme to be a hit?

#36 4 years ago

There is a new hot wheels arcade game....

63D0ED89-B7C5-404D-8008-CB44BDA98A62 (resized).jpeg63D0ED89-B7C5-404D-8008-CB44BDA98A62 (resized).jpeg
    #37 4 years ago

Retro design??

B94A4CEC-8EC9-4815-8BF2-8BC176A5F968 (resized).jpegB94A4CEC-8EC9-4815-8BF2-8BC176A5F968 (resized).jpeg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-cool-theme-for-a-pin-would-be-hot-wheels and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.