(Topic ID: 87977)

5 5 5 The number of the lock (yet another Metallica magnet thread)

By pinballcorpse

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I am caving in. Going the easy route.

I am just getting too annoyed with the Metallica coffin lock. I am reducing the hits to 5 5 5 so I at least get to play coffin multiball some.

I have the new board, the magnet works in test, but that grab and hold the ball setup is just unreliable in gameplay. It seemed to work ok for a little while, but I am still averaging well over 30 hits to start Coffin multiball, and sometimes 40 or so, when only 25 should be needed, and there have been numerous times where the 3rd ball needed for lock hits the cube over and over and then drains with no multiball.

The trick to a lock should not be to wait for some half-baked, sloppy shot to graze the magnet, or have the snake mouth closed waiting for a ricochet.

I have seen the foam trick from KME and have not placed any on my cube. Maybe that would be the answer, but even as he stated, it is a bandaid.

I really don't like playing a game out of factory settings, as the game is going to be at least set up that hard at a tourney, but I feel the game is forcing me to make this type of choice and the current way it plays is taking too much away from a key ingredient in the game play. Once coffin starts, the scores can go very high, very fast because of the stacking options. However, my son and I are missing out on that gameplay too often.

I love the rules and code, but I do not like this lock design feature because of its flakiness. When it works, it is awesome. KA THUNK...hammer of justice crushing you.

If yours works great and consistently, then count your blessings.

But I have had enough of hitting the cube forever to play one coffin multiball, if that. The coffin magnet sequence makes starting Optimus Prime multiball look like a cakewalk.

If I am missing some key ingredient or perhaps I have a part that is defective, that would almost be a relief, but as I said everything works in test, and when I really need it to work, it is a roll of the dice as to the success rate.

Sorry for the rant, but I can't be the only one with this issue.

Maybe someone has some great insight to share.

Thanks for reading.

#2 10 years ago

Try this,go into game setting number 82 set to no.
Factory is yes.
This worked for me after having the same issues.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

Factory is yes.

I agree, if you haven't tried this, give it a shot Corpse.

That said, it sounds like my lock works better than yours, but I still went ahead and reduced the number of hits required on my MET to 5-6-7

#4 10 years ago

Hmm. Mine works to my liking. Doesn't always lock right after qualifying but is definitely not an issue. 100 percent registers every hit and no phantom hammers. I haven't adjusted 82. I have mine set to 5,5,7 and find it right on the cusp of being too easy to get to. For that matter I haven't lowered the snake either. Play it as it lies, each to their own. It is AC DC that my patience is running thin with and just don't find the constant drains fun to play.

Alan

#5 10 years ago

Ok, thanks

I'll try the 82 adjustment. I did not see any code notes in the recent 1.5 update that suggested modifying that setting. I recall in a previous code version there was mention of making setting adjustments, but I figured now in V1.5 without the mention in the notes and knowing there are new boards out there, that factory setting was preferred.

So that is good information to know, possibly for others experiencing the same issues with the new board and new code.

If that works, then I'll go back to factory number of hits to qualify all locks. My rationale currently is that if it is taking an extra 10 to 20 total hits to actually get to the 3rd lock, putting my total count in the high 30 to 40 range, then if I reduce the total base lock number to 15, adding 10 or more hits to that will even out to the intended required 25 over the long range.

It certainly is not hard to hit the block 25 times, but once lock is lit it just seems on my game to take so many more hits to get a ball to actually get grabbed by the magnet.

Hoping for good things with 82.

#6 10 years ago

For a non-owner, out of curiosity, what is setting 82?

#7 10 years ago

Yea I went to 5-6-7 myself. Its a shame as is the one negative on this game, I still prefer it over no hammer
I think I may have tried 82 before, but dont recall which setting that is.

PinballCorpse, we are playing a Met this weekend who's owner claims it works perfect..will be curious to see I have my doubts !

#8 10 years ago

Anyone with a Metallica where every shot to the cube comes gently back at the magnet has a very boring game. The fun of the captive ball shot is the ricochets and shots from ball to sparky or ball to snake. If someone "fixes" their game so that somehow every one of those shots gently roll over the magnet, that game will be ruined and a total dud to play. The coffin mb scoring wise really is insignificant compared with crank it up and seek and destroy - the other reasons for shooting that shot. I say lower the lock hit count so the game feels close to 25 hits to start the mb and have fun with the game.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Anyone with a Metallica where every shot to the cube comes gently back at the magnet has a very boring game. The fun of the captive ball shot is the ricochets and shots from ball to sparky or ball to snake. If someone "fixes" their game so that somehow every one of those shots gently roll over the magnet, that game will be ruined and a total dud to play. The coffin mb scoring wise really is insignificant compared with crank it up and seek and destroy - the other reasons for shooting that shot. I say lower the lock hit count so the game feels close to 25 hits to start the mb and have fun with the game.

I get what you are saying.

I, probably like many others, use the multiballs to advance toward SAD and CIU, and am often being denied the chance to use Coffin MB, which can bring in other multiballs to further stack towards the larger goals (and in the case of SAD, actually play during the MB). Also I feel the multiball scoring is not trivial when 4x is running, so Coffin MB and its friends are worth playing.

What irks me the most about the setup is that I personally feel if I send the ball over the magnet with a dedicated shot, I should earn the reward; not be more likely to earn the lock from a desperation slap save, or sling shot side to side frenzy that eventually lobs the ball in the vicinity of the magnet.

#10 10 years ago

There appear to be several feature adjustments at 82 83 84. I really don't know what they are supposed to do or how they work together or what they offer over the factory settings.

82 abort hammer/lock sw. activity (YES is factory). This is the one folks above said to adjust to no.

83 abort hammer/ lock sw. count (1 is factory default but it can be changed to 2 or 3)

84 coffin magnet detect/cap ball hit (off is factory then there are settings for a time in msec)

Input welcomed

Thanks

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

Factory is yes.

This This This...Only This!!!!!!!! What PinGod Say!

I have new board and set 82 settings to NO and i have no issue,i am on 5 10 10 and i
almost get 2 Coffin multiballs /game.

#12 10 years ago

Here is what I think

First two to avoid phantom hammers

82 if a switch is hit after hammer sequence starts abort
83 I believe this correlates to 82 but you can make it require 2 before aborting etc

84 I though this may activate magnet when you hit coffin for up to 5 seconds but testing seems to debunk this or it's not implemented

#13 10 years ago

I just do Electric Chair until I can start coffin. Sometimes it's like after or during the third time. I can't remember if Coffin can start during Electric Chair.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from anonymatt:

I just do Electric Chair until I can start coffin. Sometimes it's like after or during the third time. I can't remember if Coffin can start during Electric Chair.

On the Premium/LE, playing electric chair mb (Sparky) and hitting the cube will only help advance the hit count. Once the mb is over, there still needs to be an actual lock which requires the magnet to grab the ball.

That there are physical locks on the Premium/LE versus virtual locks on the Pro is a huge rule difference. It is significantly easier to start Coffin MB on the Pro.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

There appear to be several feature adjustments at 82 83 84. I really don't know what they are supposed to do or how they work together or what they offer over the factory settings.
82 abort hammer/lock sw. activity (YES is factory). This is the one folks above said to adjust to no.
83 abort hammer/ lock sw. count (1 is factory default but it can be changed to 2 or 3)
84 coffin magnet detect/cap ball hit (off is factory then there are settings for a time in msec)
Input welcomed
Thanks

Looks like 82 is 80 on mine? I just set to "no"

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from BillP:

Looks like 82 is 80 on mine? I just set to "no"

Geez. Update your software. Metallica got awesome on the last updates.

#17 10 years ago

that hammer really disturbed me about which to buy (pro/pre)
i read so much things here & there...
and than i took the pro and i'm happy (even in my head) with it

as said, when the hammer stuff works perfect, its a very nice toy
when its buggy, and you have bought the pin NIB for your home, everybody can understand that its a real mess...

good luck for finding/getting a solution

#18 10 years ago

Hammer is awesome...yeh it takes a bit of practice but once you learn your shots you should not need to change your settings. Lock a ball in coffin before you start a multiball then beat the shit out of it during multiball, then when you come out of MB you should be ready to lock your next ball. Coffin-snake, coffin-ramp and coffin-sparky(hardest) are some of the best and safest shots in the game.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Freak:

Hammer is awesome...yeh it takes a bit of practice but once you learn your shots you should not need to change your settings. Lock a ball in coffin before you start a multiball then beat the shit out of it during multiball, then when you come out of MB you should be ready to lock your next ball. Coffin-snake, coffin-ramp and coffin-sparky(hardest) are some of the best and safest shots in the game.

I'm ready to learn and you have my undivided attention. I am further willing to bet there is a classroom of eager students wanting to know the secret to getting the magnet to grab consistently to allow for Coffin Multiball to begin.

What shot must be learned to hit on the playfield to cause a slow lazy roll across the magnet so that the ball will be grabbed? Clearly the intuitive shot, ie the cube, is not consistently correct. On rare occasions, a nice ricochet out of the snake mouth, or off a closed jaw will do the trick. And if I manage a desperation slap save that barely lobs the ball near the magnet it grabs.

But there is NOTHING that consistently makes the magnet grab, even with the ball DIRECTLY over the magnet. It is a flaky mechanism. The Sparky magnet seems to work nicely, but not Coffin.

I totally comprehend what you are saying about coming out of MB with lock lit, but anyway you twist and turn it, on 3 distinct occasions the ball needs to be grabbed by the magnet and dropped into the coffin.

And if you have a video showing what the correct method is, then please share.

Please forgive my tone, but this is one of the most frustrating features on the game.

#20 10 years ago

To follow up on Markmon, if you want consistent play a video game. Pinball's appeal, at least to me is randomness. Everyone has their own threshold for this and it is why the opinions vary on the hammers functionality. The hammer is no different than the ball bounce out of a TZ lock, a bounce out of LoTR saucer, or a non lock for black suit MB. Shit happens and it's not a given. My game is not chronic missed lock but it does happen. I have had games where it has locked on 5 hits and other that took 7 or 8. If it is the latter, I consciously try to hit the right side of the cube and the snake jaw where it does deaden the blow and get the slow roller back. Does it work 100 percent, no but it usually does.

The hammer toy is the full experience of the game and I hate playing a pro without it, but that is me. To me there is NO issue with how the hammer plays and it should not make you settle for the pro if you want a prem/ LE. Some people have to have the M3 and others are fine with the base model. Options.

#21 10 years ago

I fully understand the randomness of pinball and that stuff happens, but the operation of this coffin locking device is not random, it is consistently inconsistent.

I've read the arguments over the years about various games that the ball is wild and what the designers intended etc. There is not going to be convincing of me that on Metallica, hitting this block and magnet more than double the supposed required factory hits to start the multiball is the nature of pinball nor the designer's intent.

Sorry, that setup is the nature of a poor design. Bless Lyman for trying to make the software compatible with the hardware.

To watch the ball hit the cube, roll across the magnet over and over and over and over while the hit count escalates well beyond 25 by which time multiball should have been achieved is silly and frustrating. If that is someone's flavor of drink then so be it. As for my flavor, I am going to make Coffin MB as easy as possible to start to compensate for my game's behavior.

I am hoping for some sort of solution down the road that makes it more reliable.

#22 10 years ago

Ok, my game isn't like that. Can get at least one coffin MB in most games. If it bothers you that much, guess I was wrong. The pro would probably be the better choice. I can honestly say I'm not focused on this locks efficiency vs playing an exceptional game and enjoying it for what it is.

Sux it doesn't work for you as IMO your missing out.

Cheers

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from Duff:

Ok, my game isn't like that. Can get at least one coffin MB in most games. If it bothers you that much, guess I was wrong. The pro would probably be the better choice. I can honestly say I'm not focused on this locks efficiency vs playing an exceptional game and enjoying it for what it is.
Sux it doesn't work for you as IMO your missing out.
Cheers

Yeah, I don't mean to come off as argumentative, but I am frustrated.

It sounds like there is an inconsistency across games as well, which makes me wonder what the heck am I missing or do I have a glitchy part. And if I do have a flaky part how do I know? Everything in test seems ok.

I like all the other rules, and I very much prefer the rule and feed of the physical locks over the auto multiball start.

Maybe I am just too focused on this one aspect because I know it exists and am trying to will it to work.

If Lyman updates the code to include a virtual lock feature like the pro, then I would even consider that and add the Newton ball mod talked about in other threads.

#24 10 years ago

Jeff, seems like the poor ball mechanism has finally got you really frustrated!

I too wonder about those who say theirs locks better, I would like to see it in action !

In the meantime I would encourage a change in the code to allow qualifying locks after the first one is already qualified then only the last lock would be an issue.

I hope it can be made more reliable but not sure why it wouldn't have been done already if it could seems that would have been priority 1.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Jeff, seems like the poor ball mechanism has finally got you really frustrated!
I too wonder about those who say theirs locks better, I would like to see it in action !
In the meantime I would encourage a change in the code to allow qualifying locks after the first one is already qualified then only the last lock would be an issue.
I hope it can be made more reliable but not sure why it wouldn't have been done already if it could seems that would have been priority 1.

Yeah, I think I have stated my case without belaboring the point any further.

I'll try my 5 5 5 setup for a while and see how that pans out.

#26 10 years ago

I have done nothing special with hammer magnet, if you get ball to go directly over magnet or slightly off to the side if ball is moving a little slower, my magnet grabs it every time. In saying that I to have shots that are frustratingly close to getting magnet to grab, but they are just off where magnet can pick up and grab ball.
If your expecting ball to stick everytime you hit the block...good luck. But once you learn the speed or deflection shots needed to have ball stick I get it about 90% of the time and I'm no pinball wizard.
Easiest way is to hit the jaw of snake when up, just to the left of centre you will get a hit for the snake and ball will normally run back over magnet.
Hammer is a great feature of the game and should approach it knowing you need a bit of strategy to achieve lock. If magnet was positioned like grave magnet then I would expect it to grab everytime and would be pissed if it didn't. But expecting a magnet that sits fairly open to grab a ball that shoots over it at less than 0.1sec good luck

#27 10 years ago

If Lyman updates the code to include a virtual lock feature like the pro,

THIS!

I'm sick of the physical lock. Done with it. Over it. I don't want another band-aid, I want the virtual lock option. As a consumer of the most expensive model, is it too much to ask that my game plays as well as the cheapest model? Feels like I'm driving a sports car with square wheels.

#28 10 years ago

If magnet was positioned like grave magnet then I would expect it to grab everytime and would be pissed if it didn't. But expecting a magnet that sits fairly open to grab a ball that shoots over it at less than 0.1sec good luck

Sparky magnet is fairly open, and grabs the ball 98% of the time. Sometimes even yanks it down out of the air. Open placement is not the issue; the magnet's design is.

#29 10 years ago

The Sparky magnet seems to work nicely, but not Coffin.

It's triggered by an opto, not by an eddy sensor. One working has absolutely nothing to do with the other not working...unless you can figure out how to put an opto in the middle of the open part of the playfield.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

It's triggered by an opto, not by an eddy sensor. One working has absolutely nothing to do with the other not working...unless you can figure out how to put an opto in the middle of the open part of the playfield.

Sure, I understand the switch/magnet systems operate differently. My comment was more along the lines that it is ironic that the magnet for the 2 front end candy multiballs (Sparky and Grave) are more reliable and impressive in grabbing and holding the ball than the big, fancy, high end feature multiball (Coffin).

#31 9 years ago

Not trying to be a smart ass! But you need to understand how the game works before you start saying things don't work properly. My magnet grabs every time the ball passes over the magnet at a speed which gives the magnet sensor time to pick up. Ball can be going quite fast and still will be caught but a full speed shot will not(never) be picked up.
As stated previously in thread it's a pinball, not a video game!
When you have played over 500 games you learn the best ways to get ball to lock. I know from watching my kids and partner play they have more trouble getting ball to lock....so I put it to you is it the magnet or the player skill level that's the problem? Think about it for awhile before you ripe into me...but I'm sick of reading posts about hammer not working.
Biggest issue for me is the bloody auto kicker...have tried many adjustments but can not get it to kick ball out of shooter lane 100% of the time, very frustrating during multiball. Ball does sit correctly on tynes and is centered.

#32 9 years ago

so I put it to you is it the magnet or the player skill level that's the problem? Think about it for awhile before you ripe into me...but I'm sick of reading posts about hammer not working.

I did think about it and you are right, I need to learn to play better

#33 9 years ago

To me the magnet is a minor annoyance, but no more so than the Hulk Saucer, Gimil Hole, etc... Neither of those shots are 'direct' shots that can be laser-beam shot from a flipper time and time again. When EB is lit neither the TAV or LOTR saucer shot is at all possible for me personally. Think of the magnet plate as a saucer that can't lip out, as that's essentially how it behaves.

For me, the Metallica magnet is a 90% success on backhand or forehanding the snake jaw, and a reasonable (75% maybe?) success backhanding the cube itself on the fly. The other way I can grab locks is dead passing the Mystery kickout into the right sling, off the fuel target. It's surprisingly repeatable on my machine.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

To me the magnet is a minor annoyance, but no more so than the Hulk Saucer, Gimil Hole, etc... Neither of those shots are 'direct' shots that can be laser-beam shot from a flipper time and time again. When EB is lit neither shot is at all possible for me personally.
For me, the Metallica magnet is a 90% success on backhand or forehanding the snake jaw, and a reasonable (75% maybe?) success backhanding the cube itself.

Please give me a little credit; I wouldn't even consider making a post if I was getting 75%-90% success on my magnet.

#35 9 years ago

To me the magnet is a minor annoyance, but no more so than the Hulk Saucer, Gimil Hole, etc... Neither of those shots are 'direct' shots that can be laser-beam shot from a flipper time and time again. When EB is lit neither the TAV or LOTR saucer shot is at all possible for me personally. Think of the magnet plate as a saucer that can't lip out, as that's essentially how it behaves.
For me, the Metallica magnet is a 90% success on backhand or forehanding the snake jaw, and a reasonable (75% maybe?) success backhanding the cube itself. The other way I can grab locks is dead passing the Mystery kickout into the right sling, off the fuel target. It's surprisingly repeatable on my machine.

This is exactly what I'm talking about learning what shot is required to be done to get it to stick. Cheers

#36 9 years ago

Sure, I understand the switch/magnet systems operate differently. My comment was more along the lines that it is ironic that the magnet for the 2 front end candy multiballs (Sparky and Grave) are more reliable and impressive in grabbing and holding the ball than the big, fancy, high end feature multiball (Coffin).

I guess, but that's exactly my point. Comparing them is pointless because they're vastly different in how they trigger. I don't see any other way the feature could've been implemented in THAT location. Had the "coffin" been behind the inline targets and the drop magnet somehow placed in that channel, this never would've been an issue, for anyone.

It's simply not an engineering issue. You MIGHT consider it a code issue since Stern/Lyman are apparently unwilling to have the cube trigger an extended magnet catch when hitting it when the lock is qualified, but the issue with that is if a magnet is active right next to it, the eddy sensor won't WORK... the game just has to assume the ball is there and phantom pound the playfield potentially. I consider it a location issue...as much as I love Borg, it's just too close to the flippers for an eddy sensor to catch something that's almost always going to be moving that fast. Ultimately, this is why we decided to go with a pro and not worry about the premium stuff when the chance came up to get one. =|

#37 9 years ago

I'd be okay dismissing the hammer lock as one those patented Gomezesque "never gonna work right" shots, if I hadn't played a Metallica pro where virtual locks work perfectly every time. If I didn't know what it's like to play coffin multiball with some regularity, I wouldn't miss it. But I do know, so it feels like I paid more for less.

I just want virtual lock compensation when I disable the LE hammer magnet. It can't be that hard to bring the code over from the pro. Shouldn't there be virtual lock compensation regardless, for when things break on location? Hopefully it's already underway and I'm griping for nothing.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

I'd be okay dismissing the hammer lock as one those patented Gomezesque "never gonna work right" shots, if I hadn't played a Metallica pro where virtual locks work perfectly every time. If I didn't know what it's like to play coffin multiball with some regularity, I wouldn't miss it. But I do know, so it feels like I paid more for less.
I just want virtual lock compensation when I disable the LE hammer magnet. It can't be that hard to bring the code over from the pro. Shouldn't there be virtual lock compensation regardless, for when things break on location? Hopefully it's already underway and I'm griping for nothing.

I semi agree, but you need to realize Pro and LE are simply different games. If you want to compare scores and 'easiness' across two different physical machines and product lines you're dreaming. I'd just get used to it or move back to a pro if it's that big a dealbreaker. The LE/Premium is unfortunately not obligated to be 100% identical in play.

Try dropping the hammer locks to 5-5-5 and you're back to a number of hits that might be more reasonable and comparable to the pro. Up the pro to something like 5-15-15 and now it plays like the Premium. It's such a minor and arbitrarily created issue I don't know why it's such a big deal.

That all said, I'd also like virtual locks for disabled coffin magnets - not because I want to play like the pro, but because if the coffin mech screws up and I have to wait on repairs, I'd like to keep playing all the modes.

#39 9 years ago

I semi agree, but you need to realize Pro and LE are simply different games. If you want to compare scores and 'easiness' across two different physical machines and product lines you're dreaming. I'd just get used to it or move back to a pro if it's that big a dealbreaker. The LE/Premium is unfortunately not obligated to be 100% identical in play.

Do you bring a straw man to every discussion?

1. Of course I realize they are different games. I have eyes, a brain, etc.
2. I'm not asking to compare scores. Am I "dreaming" to ask for a software option in the fully featured model that exists and works perfectly in the budget model?
3. It's not a dealbreaker, it just sucks. There can be middle ground between "get used it" and "buy a pro." I'm trying option three, "complain until they add virtual locks."
4. Of course it's not obligated to be 100% identical. Why would I pay more if I expected it to be identical? I just don't want the premium/LE to be worse.

#40 9 years ago

Lyman has added already new lock options in the new unreleased next update. They are:

Added an adjustment for coffin lock behavior on the Premium/LE. The settings are:

1) Require Physical Lock, No Stacking Of Locks Lit (the current behavior).
2) Require Physical Lock, Stack Locks Lit (the behavior you are requesting).
3) Award Locks From The Captive Block (the behavior on the Pro).

The default setting will probably be 2), but I'm not sure yet. Of course you can change the adjustment to whatever you want. This will all be in the next release.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Lyman has added already new lock options in the new unreleased next update. They are:
Added an adjustment for coffin lock behavior on the Premium/LE. The settings are:
The default setting will probably be 2), but I'm not sure yet. Of course you can change the adjustment to whatever you want. This will all be in the next release.

This is great news - setting 2 is the way to go I think. Thanks for that tidbit!

I hope Crank it up is a tiny bit easier to get to by default.

Do you think the same principal could apply to CIU items? Allow you to collect them toward lighting the next CIU mode after that item has been completed for the current CIU mode?

For example, I light the snake by getting 15 hits. Then I hit the snake 10 more times before I manage to start CIU. What if those 10 counted toward snake completion for the next CIU start?

#42 9 years ago

I too am having trouble with the lock, I wouldn't mind if was a tricky shot to make the magnet grab the ball that's fun but the hammer smashing down with nothing there is bullshit. If this can be fixed so until the magnet has captured the ball the hammer will not smash down then everything would be perfect.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

This is great news - setting 2 is the way to go I think. Thanks for that tidbit!
I hope Crank it up is a tiny bit easier to get to by default.
Do you think the same principal could apply to CIU items? Allow you to collect them toward lighting the next CIU mode after that item has been completed for the current CIU mode?
For example, I light the snake by getting 15 hits. Then I hit the snake 10 more times before I manage to start CIU. What if those 10 counted toward snake completion for the next CIU start?

Good to hear that Lyman is giving options for those wh want it to play different. For me, I will leave it the way it is now. Figuring out how to play it efficiently is a feature in itself.

Alan

#44 9 years ago

1. Of course I realize they are different games. I have eyes, a brain, etc.
2. I'm not asking to compare scores. Am I "dreaming" to ask for a software option in the fully featured model that exists and works perfectly in the budget model?
3. It's not a dealbreaker, it just sucks. There can be middle ground between "get used it" and "buy a pro." I'm trying option three, "complain until they add virtual locks."

I think your software request is reasonable but for reasons I explained above - not becuase the lock is tougher to shoot for, but because if the mechanism ever fails i want to play the game. Disabling the mechanism to revert to the pro (assuming that software appears - I think it will) is silly to me at the current level of functionality and I'd personally save the $2k and just go for an LED'd pro, but to each their own. I personally would only enable virtual locks from a maintenance and troubleshooting standpoint. (ie - if the damn phantom hammer mess ever comes back)

4. Of course it's not obligated to be 100% identical. Why would I pay more if I expected it to be identical? I just don't want the premium/LE to be worse.

If you ask many players, the pro is the better playing model on everything from TF, TAV, XM, MET.... doesnt mean the Prem/LE arent great in their own right, but a lot of those Premium machines listed suffer from features added to the game that arguably damage or alter the playability a bit, or a lot in many cases. I concede that one has the option to disable them in the aformentioned games, but again I just wouldn't, I'd buy the pro. I just see the Metallica hammer issue (now) extremely minor overall being that the actual lock sequence works great now, is super cool, and only adds a minor frustration of magnet detection.

In any case adding the option to disable the lock entirely would please a wide demographic though so hopefully we both get our way! I'm not 100% happy with how it works right now, but im certainly happy enough not to disable the mechanism.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Soooooo. Any insite you'd like to share about when the next update will be?

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Woohoo! Best news I've heard all week.

Now I just need to order one of those newton ball cage things like the pro has. I know there's a ball with a single threaded post available, but I want the identical pro assembly, assuming the mounting holes line up.

Might even take my hammer off and try to get a pro plastic to cover the hole.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Excellent !

#48 9 years ago

Adam, By the way ,i installed the new mag board and it made it worse in my opinion,, so i think i am putting it back in until this next code ..

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

Adam, By the way ,i installed the new mag board and it made it worse in my opinion,, so i think i am putting it back in until this next code ..

Really are you still getting phantom hammers? The code is designed to work with the new board. I get no phantom hammers ever, but the lock is not super reliable.

1 month later
#50 9 years ago

Following up to my post.

Giving credit where due: New 1.6 code is installed. All feature adjustment settings are factory and I have made no adjustments to the number of hits required, I have not changed the settings to virtual locks, and I have not had to set a feature on YES or NO or anything.

Plug and play so to speak.

I installed the code, my son and I have played several games and the factory Coffin lock/hammer sequence is much better. Coffin multiball is a much more frequent event, seems to work as intended and the ball is locking and grabbing with more regularity now.

If anything changes, I'll follow up again, but I think the Coffin Lock/Hammer is essentially where it should be now.

Thank you Lyman and Stern if you are reading this.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.95
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.95
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/5-5-5-the-number-of-the-lock-yet-another-metallica-magnet-thread and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.