(Topic ID: 63442)

362 Third Ave in NYC soon to be a pinball business opening by Steve Epstein!

By pinaholic

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Crispin
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1380494_10201370817326641_15097158_n.jpg
    1381816_10201370816526621_907529405_n.jpg
    58504_10201370816206613_1299993897_n.jpg
    1003230_10201370816606623_280574466_n.jpg
    9.jpg
    17.jpg
    12.jpg
    10.jpg
    5.jpg
    4.jpg
    12.jpg
    9.jpg
    7.jpg
    6.jpg
    11.jpg
    19.jpg
    There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

I'm so happy to say that the great and wonderful Steve Epstein is getting back involved with location pinball in NYC. For anyone that doesn't know who Steve was, he once owned the late and Great pinball hotspot Broadway Arcade until 1996 when NYC forced him out with Re-zoning and redevelopment on Times Square.
    Some games being readied for this space are Dr Dude, Whirlwind, High Speed, Funhouse, Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, The Addams Family, Cactus Canyon, Theatre Of Magic, Batman Dark Knight, Lord Of The Rings LE, The Simpsons Pinball Party, World Cup Soccerand many others including quite a few LE editions. Of Course, Wizard Of Oz, and the most recent Stern Games will be there, mostly Limeted Edition versions. Newest games will be gotten early when possible. We want this place to be the go to place for tourists, pinball freaks and anyone looking to have a fun escape.
    I'll post when things get really serious.
    -Pinaholic

#2 10 years ago

Al...I can't tell you how happy I am to hear this! I will be there of lunch as much as I can for its a few blocks away from my job as you know.

This is truly great news!

Thanks!
    Joe

#3 10 years ago

great news sounds like all of your machines

#4 10 years ago

Awesome!!!!

#5 10 years ago

Something positive for pinball! Too bad this post won't get much attention because people love to argue on this forum.

Ed Z

<maybe we could "fake" argue to get this rolling>

#6 10 years ago

Exciting. Anyone know what the model is for this business? Is it a barcade or something else?

#7 10 years ago

ill be there. any idea when?

#8 10 years ago

Very exciting news! Truelly happy for him he seemed so upset and all about the memories within the old arcade and missed it. This will reignite the flare for sure and hope it works out. If I ever visit New York I would definetly play a visit yes play haha.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from ezeltmann:

Something positive for pinball! Too bad this post won't get much attention because people love to argue on this forum.Ed Z<maybe we could "fake" argue to get this rolling>

Nothing edgy or controversal to argue about here so why make it a unhappy thread? This thread is exciting news and should have no arguing of any kind!

#10 10 years ago

Awesome!!!! Can't wait!

#11 10 years ago

I don't argue with PAPA champions :^)

Ron...

Quoted from ezeltmann:

Something positive for pinball! Too bad this post won't get much attention because people love to argue on this forum.
    Ed Z

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from ezeltmann:

Ed Z

Let's argue about how awesome it will be.

#13 10 years ago

I can't believe it has been 16 years since the Broadway Arcade closed. The years are flying too fast. Good luck Steve!

#14 10 years ago

Will plays be over $1.00 each? I ask because of the high cost of doing business in Manhattan. I will visit that's for sure.

#15 10 years ago

I hope it's a barcade, if only because drinks pay the bills faster than pinball does.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from ezeltmann:

people love to argue on this forum

And they love to help each other out too. I've met all kinds of great people from this forum, but I also hear from complete strangers who I've never met and maybe never will who just want help a fellow pinhead out.

Maybe stop reading the threads about brand new games for a bit and enjoy some of the other topics. Like how there's a rad new pinball place opening in NY. Next time I'm there for business I'm gonna make it a goal to go!

There's very little more exciting in terms of pinball than this new resurrection of on-location play. It's slow, and it's hard to say if it will last, but man, I hope so!

#17 10 years ago

congrats to steve. this is great news. I wish him much success. no argument here. just good news for pinball and no one deserves it more than steve Epstein.

#18 10 years ago

If there is beer and a bar my only concern would be will it be all ages or only 21. Oh well by that time ill be 21 but point is what about family can't bring the kids or older kids to play. So many tournaments I want to go to in Chicago they do the release partys in the city now and I can't go because Chicago law have to be 21 in the bar drinking or not which I think is stupid but what do I know about laws and crooked Chicago poltiacians?

Well so my question would be family friendly or drunk'n pinheads

#19 10 years ago

Really great news!
    Congrats to Steve Epstein for making this happen!

#20 10 years ago

SO EXCITED! I have to say I was fortunate enough to have enjoyed his arcade on Broadway in the early 90's. I didn't understand the history at the time- and was so bummed out when it closed.

I was especially touched by his shared memories of the arcade scene in "Special when lit". I found his obvious love for the arcade and the years he spent there especially poignant.

GOOD LUCK STEVE!

#21 10 years ago

Fantastic news. Cant wait to fly up to NYC again. Pizza and Pinball paradise.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from jjsrt8:

Nothing edgy or controversal to argue about here so why make it a unhappy thread? This thread is exciting news and should have no arguing of any kind!

My slightly controversial statement could be a ruse designed to make people quote my response and therefore bring the post to the top and make people more aware! Those who know me, know i have a sarcastic sense of humor. For others that don't know me, i will use sarcastic font when available.

As a location and tournament player, I am very happy to see pinball places open up.

Cheers to all those involved and keeping pinball alive.

Quoted from Aurich:

And they love to help each other out too. I've met all kinds of great people from this forum, but I also hear from complete strangers who I've never met and maybe never will who just want help a fellow pinhead out.
    Maybe stop reading the threads about brand new games for a bit and enjoy some of the other topics. Like how there's a rad new pinball place opening in NY. Next time I'm there for business I'm gonna make it a goal to go!
    There's very little more exciting in terms of pinball than this new resurrection of on-location play. It's slow, and it's hard to say if it will last, but man, I hope so!

I read a ton of this forum and find it quite entertaining as well as annoying. I enjoy free speech for all and opinions of everyone. I did make a commentary that is directed at the amount of attention a positive thread gets as opposed to a negative one. I do love the forum. It is a wealth of information and contains examples of the tendencies of human nature.

Here's hoping that the controversial statement i made results in more people finding out about the wonderful thing these guys are doing.

Quoted from FunWithBonus:

Let's argue about how awesome it will be.

I think it will be super awesome . Anyone want to raise the bar to super duper mega extreme wizard awesome.

Ed Z (A- division)

#23 10 years ago

It will not serve alcohol, therefore allowing a younger generation experience well working finest examples possible. This place has the potential to change the game, but only time will tell. Thanks go to those gambling on people going out to play pinball.

#24 10 years ago

What more can you tell us? I'm very curious of how he can make money. I'd love it if someone was able to crack the code and others could follow.

#25 10 years ago

maybe they can work a deal with nearby bar to offer discounts for each others customers. pinball works up a thirst and beer makes me want to play more pinball.

#26 10 years ago

RePlay Magazine news release gives Roger Sharpe some ink as well:

NYC Vet Steve Epstein Opens New Arcade
    Fifty-year gamebiz vet Steve Epstein and a colleague are about to open a brand-new pinball arcade in Manhattan. The location, which is slated to open in November, will showcase 30-35 pingames.

Steve originally came into the business at his father's Playland back in 1962 and had been active in the trade until recent years when he took a breather. Well, the new place (yet to be named) will occupy a spot around 26th Street and Third Avenue in a really trendy district flush with bars, restaurants, colleges and young adults.

Some pins will be on coin-op play with others, back in the museum section, on "free play" after paying an admission fee. There's also a party room planned, as well as tournaments, etc. Plus, "curator" Roger Sharpe is aboard with helpful advice on which museum pieces to set. Best of luck!

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Steve originally came into the business at his father's Playland back in 1962 and had been active in the trade until recent years when he took a breather. Well, the new place (yet to be named) will occupy a spot around 26th Street and Third Avenue in a really trendy district flush with bars, restaurants, colleges and young adults.

How about PINBALL PLAYLAND ?

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from jesster64:

maybe they can work a deal with nearby bar to offer discounts for each others customers. pinball works up a thirst and beer makes me want to play more pinball.

Beer makes me more thirsty never understood it. Guess I'm just dull keep the bread ill have the wine

#29 10 years ago

Beyond beer, some other things I can think of that might help sustain a pin location beyond coin drops would be:
    *game sales
    *game repair
    *classes on repair and maintanence
    *game rental program (Netflix for pins - 1 pin at a time and swap out when desired for flat fee)
    *common pin part store. In NYC, there may be enough critical mass for someone who needs rubber rings NOW (?)

#30 10 years ago

This is so cool. My brother lives in Times Square. When this opens I'll have to plan a trip out there to visit.

Here's a short film of pre-Disney Times Square in the 1980s.

The Playland Arcade is featured at about 1 minute in.

#31 10 years ago

Spent plenty of time in Playland! Wow, great memories!

#32 10 years ago

YES!!!!! My new office will be at 25th and 5th! I might actually have to go to the office now! Midtown pinball...it's .... About......fu$&ing.....time!!!!!

#33 10 years ago

Beyond beer, some other things I can think of that might help sustain a pin location beyond coin drops would be:
    *game sales
    *game repair
    *classes on repair and maintanence
    *game rental program (Netflix for pins - 1 pin at a time and swap out when desired for flat fee)
    *common pin part store. In NYC, there may be enough critical mass for someone who needs rubber rings NOW (?)

You hit the nail on the head. The New Arcade will sell machines,Pinball parts and related items shirts,posters,hats,videos etc will also be sold.
    Repairs will also be considered as well as classes on Repair /Maintenance.
    What will set this place apart is that it will be owned and run by Pinball enthusiasts and not bean counters.
    Those involved in the industry at the highest levels and Top ranked Tournament players.
    Most importantly the machines will be the finest playing, cleanest examples you will find anywhere including many homes. With the exception of Chris Hutchins machines, You wont find any better! These will be as close to NIB as possible with perfect play and will always be maintained in that condition.
    The Steve Epstein Arcade will not have
    Dirt on machines, Broken Rubbers, Weak flippers, assemblies,or any excuses as to why your score isint higher.
    The Steve Epstein Arcade will be the new standard for players and set the example of how machines should be maintained wether on location or in the home.
    This is what players have talked about and now it will be realized.
    Not serving alcohol will serve the Pinball community by enabling those of all ages to play.
    Its the youth that will keep pinball alive and this venue will strive to introduce Pinball to the youth,families and the mainstream populous.
    Photos are of machines being prepared

970937_3396385004600_142958588_n.jpg970937_3396385004600_142958588_n.jpg 996844_10200856133619870_495520297_n.jpg996844_10200856133619870_495520297_n.jpg 1012490_10200907534864869_1645992344_n.jpg1012490_10200907534864869_1645992344_n.jpg 1235207_10201082893568727_244249793_n..jpg1235207_10201082893568727_244249793_n..jpg 1237075_10200964565970611_1060082012_n.jpg1237075_10200964565970611_1060082012_n.jpg

#34 10 years ago

Now your talking my language

#35 10 years ago

drool......

#36 10 years ago

I love NY, and pinball...and pinball in NY.....see ya soon Mr. Epstein..

#37 10 years ago

Eddie.. Don't know you personally, but I've seen you around at pinball events. I'll introduce myself next time.

The new arcade is exciting news. Looking forward to the grand opening. I mentioned this in another thread, but you may have missed it. Most of these games (TZ, ToM, AF, LotR, MB, TSPP) are playable all over town and might not draw in the local players. Cactus Canyon and Dr Dude are great additions.. can't play those anywhere else in town. I would really love to see more of the uncommon/rare stuff.. that would definitely make it worth the hassle to hop on the subway and come by the arcade more often.

I like the idea of repair/maintenance classes. Game sales sound promising.. but NYC sales tax is steep. Also hope Stern and JJP smile on the new venue... events/launch parties would be icing on the cake.

#38 10 years ago

AWESOME! Best of luck with the venture. Will be in NYC in December for a long weekend - hope it is open. I would also hope that it wouldn't be limited to the over 21 crowd - or if so, that there was open access for (accompanied) minors during the day. While all of us being pinheads is great, we need to encourage the younger generations to keep it going. I know that my enthusiasm pales in comparison to my 13 year old son's. It would be great to have a place to go with him in NYC. We frequent the Pinball Wizard Arcade in Pelham, NH but (no offense to Pelham), Pelham isn't exactly Gotham!

#39 10 years ago

You should allow the venue to be rented out one or two nights a month for private parties. I'd throw a marketing event there for my NYC customers.

#40 10 years ago

When I'm in NY for business I'm at 4 Times Square, so this is great location-wise, but come 2015 it will be the Freedom Tower, so I'll have to try and take advantage of the proximity while I can!

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

YES!!!!! My new office will be at 25th and 5th! I might actually have to go to the office now! Midtown pinball...it's .... About......fu$&ing.....time!!!!!

Hey Nelson, I'm right by there too...

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from amalongi:

AWESOME! Best of luck with the venture. Will be in NYC in December for a long weekend - hope it is open.

well, they don't actually ever close the city of New York.

#43 10 years ago

Eddie is an amazing asset to the NYC pinball community. Besides being a proponent of pinball, no one I know puts the time and effort into maintaining pinballs (all aspects) as he. As far as I know, Ed will have be responsible for overseeing the games maintanence. Lets all hope so. You might have played some of the games around town, but not like these. I know what Ed is capable of. I know other less seen titles, like Whirlwind, Cactus Canyon and others should make us all happy.
    -Pinaholic

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinaholic:

Eddie is an amazing asset to the NYC pinball community. Besides being a proponent of pinball, no one I know puts the time and effort into maintaining pinballs (all aspects) as he. As far as I know, Ed will have be responsible for overseeing the games maintanence. Lets all hope so. You might have played some of the games around town, but not like these. I know what Ed is capable of. I know other less seen titles, like Whirlwind, Cactus Canyon and others should make us all happy.
    -Pinaholic

Hey Al, maybe it's time for you to add a disclaimer here?

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

Hey Nelson, I'm right by there too...

Well then lets meet up on opening day!

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from Eddie:

You hit the nail on the head. The New Arcade will sell machines,Pinball parts and related items shirts,posters,hats,videos etc will also be sold.
    Repairs will also be considered as well as classes on Repair /Maintenance.
    What will set this place apart is that it will be owned and run by Pinball enthusiasts and not bean counters.
    Those involved in the industry at the highest levels and Top ranked Tournament players.
    Most importantly the machines will be the finest playing, cleanest examples you will find anywhere including many homes. With the exception of Chris Hutchins machines, You wont find any better! These will be as close to NIB as possible with perfect play and will always be maintained in that condition.
    The Steve Epstein Arcade will not have
    Dirt on machines, Broken Rubbers, Weak flippers, assemblies,or any excuses as to why your score isint higher.
    The Steve Epstein Arcade will be the new standard for players and set the example of how machines should be maintained wether on location or in the home.
    This is what players have talked about and now it will be realized.
    Not serving alcohol will serve the Pinball community by enabling those of all ages to play.
    Its the youth that will keep pinball alive and this venue will strive to introduce Pinball to the youth,families and the mainstream populous.
    Photos are of machines being prepared

I would be down for repair classes . Good luck Al, Eddie and Steve.

Mk

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from shlockdoc:

I would be down for repair classes . Good luck Al, Eddie and Steve.
    Mk

I would be down for a pin party at your place. Waiting. Waiting. Waiting.....

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I would be down for a pin party at your place. Waiting. Waiting. Waiting.....

Sorry. Work has been a bear and I have been slow in getting the new game room done. You have a standing invite to come by the spot whenever Nelson, with or without potato salad

#49 10 years ago

I was at the space, strategizing and this place should rock! With he connections involved, I'm as confident as I could be about this place helping pinball grow near to how it used to be. Come join us in making this place a success. The tentative name is Modern Pinball NYC and projected opening In mid to late October. A few more games coming are Punchy The Clown, Capcom's Flipper Football, and possibly Spectrum. Games will be maintained and rotated regularly.

#50 10 years ago

Ed Z, you are Banned!

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/362-third-ave-in-nyc-soon-to-be-a-pinball-business-opening-by-steve-epstein and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.