1979 Flash 3 bank drop target completes and game ends. Help please.

Started 5 months ago by Shoot_Again in forum TechTech: Early solid state games.

1979 Flash 3 bank drop target completes and game ends. Help please.

Topic summary

• Started 5 months ago by Shoot_Again
  • 4 Pinsiders participating in this thread.
  • Latest reply from dothedoo

Tilts/ ignores / abuse

Sharing and favs

Games linked to topic

Help us build a pinball game knowledge base by linking topics to the games discussed in them!

5 months, 1 week ago
    #

Hello all

As the title above states I have a Williams Flash. I picked this up as a project and I have since had both the cpu and driver board rebuilt as well as their interconnect,battery holder and sockets. I have almost everything working now 100%.
    I can play a game no problem as long as I want but almost every time I complete the 3 bank drop targets it makes what sounds like a tilt sound and game ends. No issue with flasher as it goes off in attract mode and also does not end game when it lights. Or at least not everytime it seems to not always happen as I have completed thunder without game reset at least one time.

Any ideas what to look at next?

Thanks for your help.

5 months, 1 week ago
    #

Don't mean to hijack thread, but i also have trouble with bank of 3 targets. Solenoid just doesn't have juice to lift targets back up. One target is sticky, takes a second when hit to go down. should I replace solenoid or just take apart bank and give a good cleaning. Do solenoids weaken with time. there was some gunk inside, but I cleaned it out, i thought. Previous owner must have tried some lubricant.

5 months, 1 week ago
    #

Reflow solder on your solenoid. Also taking it apart to clean gunk is a good idea maybe replace the nylon sleeve. These drops seem to have a different system for up down switch than I am use to seeing. Maybe someone else can add ideas.
    As for the drop it could be the plastic itself warped over time. Check to make sure when trying to go down it does not catch on rubber, playfield or drop target mounting bracket. I believe on the inside of these they have a drag style contact system. It is possible this could be in a bind.

5 months, 1 week ago
    #

The 3 bank series switch is in the same row as the slam tilt and playfield tilt. If you have an issue with a shorted switch, that could explain what you are seeing. Look for a bad diode, short between wires, solder splash, etc.

5 months, 1 week ago
    #

To add...if this happens with all of the 5 bank targets up, then the first thing to check is your coin switches. Make sure none of them are stuck closed or shorted. Then you need to check the diodes on the 3 bank drops and make sure none of them are shorted (one or more probably is.)

For this to happen it requires 3 switches to be closed and one of them has a shorted diode or no diode at all. As stangbat said the 3 bank series and slam tilt switches are in the same row and each 3 bank drop is in the same row as a coin switch.

What happens is the MPU scans the switch columns one at a time. In column 1 it sees a coin switch closed, the signal travels down the entire row and should be blocked by a diode on the other switches. But it passes through the closed drop target switch and through the shorted diode, and appears on column 4 where it's not supposed to be. Now because the 3 bank series switch is closed the signal travels through that switch and down row 7 which also has the slam tilt. Since the MPU was in the process of scanning column 1 and it now sees a switch closure on row 7 it thinks the machine was slam tilted.

Remember, this description assumes the 5 bank targets are all up (or at least the top one) and no other playfield switches in column 4 of the switch matrix are stuck closed (eject hole, center and lower right side standups.)

Bill

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or sign in if you already have one.

© 2001-2014 Pinside.com All rights reserved. Jump to topRSS feedsHelpContactCookiesDesigned by Keeple