IMG_2487.JPG
IMG_2484.JPG
IMG_2482.JPG
IMG_2481.JPG
skitch_hold_relay.png
Jones.png
20130120_180930.jpeg
#1 11 years ago

Ok, I've dived into the Dixieland I recently picked up and have lowered down my problem to the coin door as most probably expected based on experience and technical stuff from the Internet.

So if I unplug the jones plug for the coin door it stops. I do not yet have the schematic, but plan on getting one shortly as the Ohio Show is only a few weeks away.

My coin door has been "adjusted" by one of the previous owners and it has not yet worked ever properly as the game will start, but it resets all the time seemingly randomly.

I took a picture of the wiring job and I've also chased down the wires with my DMM and will post a picture of what I am seeing. Pinwiki and Clay both have some pretty good information on moving around 110 to the coin door and I want to do that ASAP, but need some help there as well.

First here is the yellow coming from the transformer tap in - or truthfully almost directly from the wall outlet. As you can see from the 2 orange connectors the wall comes directly into 6 of these wires.

20130120_180930.jpeg20130120_180930.jpeg

Here is the Jones plug and the work I did with a DMM to figure out where these were coming from on the coin door.

Jones.pngJones.png

Does anyone have a similar late 60's Bally coin door who could share what wiring probably should be set up?

Thanks,

#2 11 years ago
Quoted from FirePower:

My coin door has been "adjusted" by one of the previous owners and it has not yet worked ever properly as the game will start, but it resets all the time seemingly randomly.

Sounds like the coin switch?

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#coindoor

Read about the coin switches ^^^ just be careful with the 120v (the vinyl encased wires ) the cloth wrapped are usually lower voltages, but treat them all with respect and assume that it can kill!
Be safe.

#3 11 years ago

Thanks Pin-It. What would your recommendation be for troubleshooting? If I put the DMM on the 2 coin's and depress the micro switch it passes continuity, however there is 110 running to that switch as well and that just scares me from messing with it.

#4 11 years ago

Lets eliminate any coin mech/switch issues and possible upstream bad wiring by doing the following concentrating on the start button.

Make sure the power is off for the following.
First did you set it up for freeplay at the credit wheel? or at the very least put some credits on it manually.

To eliminate your coin mechs and to use the start/reset button to see if it works properly (which is what you are trying to do)you have to follow the two wires that go from your start /reset button and trace them to the jones plug,then for the testing ,run an alligator clip to the corresponding Male -Female jones connection and it should work properly as i did this to mine and it works. (unless OEM wired them completely different for that pin or someone messed up the wires!)

That should have worked ,now you know that is a wiring issue within the coin mech/switches,just diagnose that circuit further.
A schematic will most likely be needed for that part.^^^^^^

#5 11 years ago

Pin-it,

I am attempting to remove my 110 from the front door and jones plugs to do the tests you indicated. With the current situation and the score motor always running, the start relay in the backbox sticks. If I manually unstick this and actuate the switch on the ball lane exit gate to the playfield the hold relay fires and the game begins.

My thoughts before moving forward with your directions were to first:

1. Replace the original Bally fuse holders as the under playfield and the main were broken and the one on the transformer (main) was completely missing and hardwired. This is done.

2. Remove the 110 from the front door for safety. This is where I am at.

I was following the directions on pinwiki for adding a on/off switch and adjusting the wiring:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair#Adding_an_On.2FOff_Switch_to_an_EM

This is where I am getting confused, as the person here indicates that the wires from the hold relay need to be removed and soldered together and run to one pole of the switch. I have 3 wires on one lug and 2 on the other. Should I be considering this or is that more applicable to another model machine? Should I worry about the 110 on the door or continue troubleshooting.

I am attaching a picture of the wires on the hold relay.

Thanks

skitch_hold_relay.pngskitch_hold_relay.png

#6 11 years ago

Lets get on the same page so it makes it easier to diagnose.
First the score motor starts running when you power up the game ?
To make sure this works properly take 2 gator clips ,one going from the female jones to the male jones of one of the start switch wires and the other one to the appropriate jones m/f ( just follow the correct wires to the plug connection!)
Now plug the machine in and press the start button does it fire up correctly? or does the score motor turn still?

When it comes to wiring an on /off switch the what you are doing is like pinwiki is saying ,just cut the hot lead (not the neutral!) right after the fuse, then get an 2/wire extension cord ,splice it to the wire you cut with fuse attached to it,run your wire to your on/off switch then put the fused wire on one terminal then the return wire at the terminal heads back to the wire you cut at the fuse ,now attach that wire to the remaining one.

More info here about that ^^^ >>>>Power Switch and Power-On Lights? <look for that in this section > http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#wrong

#7 11 years ago

Gator clipped start switch. #1 #2
Start switch #3 Red/Dk Blue
Fuse block #4

IMG_2481.JPGIMG_2481.JPG IMG_2482.JPGIMG_2482.JPG IMG_2484.JPGIMG_2484.JPG IMG_2487.JPGIMG_2487.JPG

#8 11 years ago

I found a schematic for your machine. Here is the link. I tried uploading but it is to big. http://ia600503.us.archive.org/25/items/dixielandschematics/Dixieland_Schematics.pdf

#9 11 years ago

On my Bally Knockout power for the score motor ran through the coin switches on the coin door. I unplugged the jones plug for the coin door and ran a jumper wire on the female jones plug inside the cabinet to complete the circuit for the score motor. Then I had another jumper wire to make momentary contact for the start button. Then I was able to find my short in my credit relay. Now it is good as new.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from bigbadford91:

I found a schematic for your machine. Here is the link. I tried uploading but it is to big. http://ia600503.us.archive.org/25/items/dixielandschematics/Dixieland_Schematics.pdf

Thanks bigbadford91, unfortunately I think that one is for the Bally Dixieland Bingo, not pinball

I am going to try the pictures that Pin-It said with the jones and as you described on your knockout shortly.

Again thanks to you both for the help.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

First the score motor starts running when you power up the game ?

That is correct

Quoted from Pin-it:

To make sure this works properly take 2 gator clips ,one going from the female jones to the male jones of one of the start switch wires and the other one to the appropriate jones m/f ( just follow the correct wires to the plug connection!)
Now plug the machine in and press the start button does it fire up correctly? or does the score motor turn still?

After doing this, the score motor does not run at all. The start button seems to have no impact.

Quoted from Pin-it:

When it comes to wiring an on /off switch the what you are doing is like pinwiki is saying ,just cut the hot lead (not the neutral!) right after the fuse, then get an 2/wire extension cord ,splice it to the wire you cut with fuse attached to it,run your wire to your on/off switch then put the fused wire on one terminal then the return wire at the terminal heads back to the wire you cut at the fuse ,now attach that wire to the remaining one.
More info here about that ^^^ >>>>Power Switch and Power-On Lights? <look for that in this section > http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#wrong

I got the power switch hooked up fine.

#12 11 years ago

So during the Pin-it testing, I did fine the "culprit" set of wires that causes the score motor to run. It also enables the lights. Here is what I did:

1. Disconnected the backbox completely from the lower playfield.
2. As I was going through the alligator clips to the jones, I found that one set, the yellow and red pair that was twisted to the white wire when disconnected caused the score motor to stop. With these disconnected the score motor either doesn't run or just runs for about 2 seconds. But, there are no GI lights at all with them disconnected.

The top 2 wires here are soldered together. I believe they correspond completely to the switch that was removed from the door by a previous owner. This appears to be a normally closed switch for slam tilt. I believe they took the 3 wires from this normally closed switch and simply cut them and twisted them together. They did this for both mechanisms (slam-tilts?) that were on the front door. Obviously for some reason one of them is causing the score motor to run continuously. The wire that gets connected is the white, which is the top left on my diagram from above that listed it as 110 Hot (potentially incorrectly).

Another thing I have observed, that may be potentially unrelated, is that when the backbox is hooked up, the reset relay gets stuck on when the score motor is running. I thought that was logically normal, but wanted to check, as I had generally thought that the completion of the score reels to the zero position would indicate a full reset. The numbers do in fact reset to 0 when the game is started.

20130127_153514.jpg20130127_153514.jpg

#13 11 years ago

Firepower, on mine the score motor was powered through the coin door. It was a white wire and a yellow wire. If I didn't have the wires connected the score motor wouldn't turn and it wouldn't start a game.

#14 11 years ago

Hey Firepower, read bigbadford91 thread as it has links to the coin door schematics,just match your door type to the pdf file that best matches yours. > http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-knockout-coin-door-help <kenlayton posted it.

On mine the slam tilt/anti-cheat contact switch is set up so that it is one continuous loop,as your should be the same.
Mine is from 1965 so it has changed a little by the time yours was built ,but ultimately the same basics apply.
Seeing someone wire the 110 v direct to your coin door like that throws it off a bit,better to go back to the way the factory originally built it ,the only thing that wont change is the door wiring requiring the 110 v will still be there because they used that voltage for the start switch ,coin sw,and sd/anti-c switch also. (just have to trace them to the proper places)

Curious when you plug it in does the hold relay engage?

Be aware all relays that are involved w/ start up can bypass the coin door setup for now till you see what wires go where from the coin door schematics,in the mean time lets do this too.
Get this out of the way first > http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#free
<<One less thing that will fight you.

Read the start up procedures here as they are close to all Ballys > http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#start
See if a game can be setup using that guide ^^^^^and if so then it is just a matter of the coin door.

When you pick the schematic from that thread thats close to yours let us know.

2 months later
#15 11 years ago

Ok thanks everyone. I finally got around to working on this and got it mostly up to speed. I wired a switch per pinwiki and also nailed down the continuous score motor to dirty score wheels.

Funny I cleaned the reels and it still ran so I bought the schematic. Then I go to show someone the problem and pulled the reels, did nothing other then reseat them and its been consistently working since. Thanks everyone for the pointers, I feel like I am learning quite a bit.

I bought a few more EM's

#16 11 years ago

Here is the Jones plug and the work I did with a DMM to figure out where these were coming from on the coin door.

I know I’m behind on this thread, but!!!!

Just looking at the schematic, I don’t think you should have 110v on the door plug at all.

See below. None of the numbers are the same for the plug and Line voltage side of the trannie, so no line voltage should be present on the door plug.

Wire 21-3 (Blu-Red) and 65-1 (Brw-Red) max voltage is 51vac

Help.jpgHelp.jpg

#17 11 years ago

Opps forget my post, wrong schematic in use.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from FirePower:

I bought a few more EM's

Haha Indeed. Looks like you have a nice collection.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1968-bally-dixieland-continuous-score-motor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.